How do I focus on small demographics throughout the country?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by yonidf99, Sep 26, 2010.

1. yonidf99

yonidf99
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I want to figure out how to locate different regions, smallish communities throughout the country, how would I go about doing this? Like an area that all the thousands of all people shop, eat visit the doctor in the same 8 mile or so radius.

DO i need software or can I somehow get this info easier. It would really make my project much easier! :D

2. Azertyle

Azertyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What are you really looking into doing?
    I know there are some publicly available statistics in the council website of each local community. You just have to try googling

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depending on which country you're in (I assume US?) and what specific information you're looking for (is it just population data relating to each urban area?) you might be able to find it on publicly available GIS information which would be suitable. Once you have the GIS data you can manipulate/query it in all manner of ways to provide exactly what information (well, you're limited by the information sets you have available) you require.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

yonidf99 would you mind giving us a little info as to the type of product, service or idea you wish to promote, or would you prefer to keep it confidential?

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If everything fails, I think watch the news. The news always has stories on ethnic issues, natural disasters, something new etc. Generally, if it's on the news, then it's big or important enough to be recognized, and so doing a bit of research on that area mentioned may bring up some interesting results.

6. yonidf99

yonidf99
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For this country. I was hoping to find areas throughout the country that about 7-10 thousand homes all shop/eat/visit the doctor etc in the same area. I was then hoping to find a list of all those businesses. We're trying to do some advertising with different areas and was hoping to find this data. Thanks.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

8. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Without knowing how you intend to market or the exact market you are looking for, it is hard to provide a good answer.

However, here's one option:

1. If you are in the U.S. go to http://www.infousa.com/
    2. Click on Mailing Lists/Sales Leads
    3. Let's say you are looking for consumers, click on U.S. Consumer Lists.
    4. Assume you will be mailing, check that radial button.
    5. Now work your way through the options. To start, you can select a radius, area code, mail carrier routes, city, county, metro area, neighborhood, state, streets, zip codes, those people with birds painted on their mailboxes (just kidding).
    6. Then you can select by age, income, marital status and gender.
    7. Next select by home value, home ownership, housing type, mortgage, number of credit cards
    8. Then choose by hobbies, interests, whether they have children, are grandparents or veterans, their ethnicity, religion, how they voted.

When you are finished, you will be presented with a number of leads that match all your criteria that you can mail to. It also shows how many have emails.

Hope that helps.