How do I float my product towards interested companies?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by khamaar, Feb 21, 2013.

1. khamaar

khamaar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's the simple thing. I am from a chemist-family, and have in hand chemicals that we have developed that could be remarkable value in the industries. Say for example, we are creating uniform nano-particles of controlled morphology that are in high demand in the sensor-industries. Now is there any way i could float whatever i have developed, like some sort of website where i could post the chemical and physical details of what i am making, and then some interested company could contact me?...I am absolutely dumb in these things, so please advise me from scratch.....

2. Eric Wolfe

Eric Wolfe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know your product better than anyone, so you know what it is capable of and what industries it might be useful in. My advice is to research those industries and companies that could utilize your technology, find the people in the company who can purchase and integrate your product, and make an appointment with those individuals for a pitch. You will need to have a good understanding of what your potential client's needs are, which you should be able to derive from your research and understanding of your product and what it can do. You will also need to have good communication and sales skills to develop your pitch. It will help to be a great negotiator. If you want to learn and improve these skills, you should consider a course in NLP or a similar technology that will really help you to shine in reading your potential clients, creating and delivering a successful pitch, negotiating the terms of your agreement, and closing the sale.

If your product is unique, chances are that the people in these businesses who might be interested in it don't know what to look for. That's why you have to seek them out and pitch to them.

Another option would be to find public forums that might be perused by the purchasers in the businesses that you're looking to solicit. And get articles about your product published. You're going to want to communicate what your product can do in the appropriate level of technical terminology for your audience, and write something that is informative and compelling. Once again, it will help a lot if your communication skills are excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How do we pitch anyway,do we just need some cardboards or just powerpoint presentation to explain possibilities and things like these and after it the prices? any advice to make it successful?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

khamaar one thing you could start with doing is to take a look at the websites of your competitors in the industry. See what they are doing, and try to get ideas as to how you could present your offering. When putting up your website be careful that you don't give away too many trade secrets, or provide information that would allow others to do what you are doing.

A lot of pitches are done via PowerPoint, however it really does depend on your industry and what you are pitching. If you are providing a window cleaning service to small retailers, you will pitch that differently than you would a security system to large corporations. If you start a new thread with some details of what you are selling, you will get much more helpful responses.

5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would also suggest you to find people in your target market and contact them or get an appointment and inform them about your products. And yes, you could also have your own website with your product offerings and promote it on appropriate websites like linkedin communities and forums.

You could also participate in trade expo and exhibitions related to your industry that would give your products good exposure.