How do I find a person that can strike a couple deals for me ?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by bizmen, Dec 21, 2014.

1. bizmen

bizmen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys !
    I'm new here, and this seems like a very friendly forum and happy to be part of it.
    Hopefully I can get some good advice, and maybe give my own !

So I have one question for starters, I am located outside the US and have an online business that would benefit if I was able to strike a few deals with key persons in the US.
    Pardon me for not mentioning the exact type of business, as it is quite innovative and I'm not comfortable with introducing competition ! I can say that it's B2B though.
    Now the basic idea is that I would like to hire someone to close some deals for me, and he should be located in the US.

So what do you think ? How would you tackle this challenge if you needed to have some deals in place in a foreign country ?
    Go to some agency maybe ? Also....what would be a good arrangement to pay that person (hour / deals closed ?)

Any advice highly welcome and appreciated :biggrin:

2. allcitycleaning

allcitycleaning
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would go to www.elance.com or www.guru.com You can find people willing to take on projects like that and you can read what expertise they have. You can post your project and have people bid on it. I think this will work well for you.

Julia

• Like Like x 1
    #2 allcitycleaning, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  3. bizmen

bizmen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Julia.

Any ideas on the proper reward arrangement ? I was thinking about one of these :
    1. Reward per hour (but how can I check this ?)
    2. Reward per contact
    3. Reward per contact + bonus per closed deal
    4. Reward per hour + bonus per closed deal

My problems are that I can't check how they will be performing, and also I'd like them to be motivated !

4. MarkHache

MarkHache
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pay on contingency if you can, possibly with residual. That is, you only pay on closed deals.

You're not giving too much information about the nature of the client relationship, and that plays a part in whom you select for your sales efforts. Will there be recurring billing? Will it be an automated type service or does it involve ongoing consulting? If you're building an ongoing relationship won't you want to step in at some point, or do you want this sales person maintaining the point-of-contact (in which case you would have to pay a residual)?

Now the problem with contingency is that your prospector/closer has no "skin in the game" in other words, that person may not be hustling to close for you. Lots of contingency partners close nothing because they're just left alone and don't get much support or pressure to perform. You may want to work this into the equation to increase motivation: funnel qualified leads to this person and then have him periodically answer on the status of them. That way there is both a pipeline to motivate, plus you have accountability.

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People that are good at striking deals are few and far in-between. I suggest that you visit the US and network with the right kinds of people. Hopefully you'll find the right person in a short space of time. Trying to find this person online will be difficult unless you scout social media platforms such as Linkedin and Facebook, perhaps even Youtube. Find someone that is reputable and has the experience at brokering deals, make sure they are not a snake oil salesman.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jacob Conway

Jacob Conway
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would hire a freelancer from UPwork formally known as "odesk"

I have hire so many people that I have it down to a science.

Make sure they have at least 1000 hours on UPwork and 5 star ratings and read the reviews people leave.

if you do that you will get the best price with someone that will finish because it takes so much time to get reviews up to that level only a fool would do bad work after they reach that point.

• Like Like x 1