How do I attract people to sign up

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by josaphlewis, Jul 8, 2010.

1. josaphlewis

josaphlewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a blog. I was looking for a newsletter widget and I just found one of them. I don’t want to use ‘Google Friend Connect’. Are there any other exciting widgets that I can use on blogger? Also, how do I get people to my blog? How do I attract them to my blog? I want maximum people to sign up. I have thought of a way to entice them. I will give them free ebooks when they sign up. Sounds cool, right? I hope so. Can someone suggest some techniques, ideas and information? Thanks in advance.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best way to attract your readers to join your newsletter is to have a good content.
    Good content attracts visitors to know more on your site.
    Freebies like ebooks are not always the reason why people sign-up for newsletters, right?

BTW, have you tried Feedburner?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with GekiDan, that quality content is the best way to encourage people to sign up for your newsletter. However, free offers do also work. If you can offer a free ebook, that's appealing to your visitors, a proportion of them will sign up for it.

The big concern that most people have, when signing up to newsletters, is that you will spam their email address. So include a privacy policy on your site and make it very clear that you won't spam or sell on the email addresses that you collect.

4. BDR_London

BDR_London
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As the others have already mentioned good content and offers will get people to sign up to newsletters. Drive traffic to your site by participating in forums and blogs. Make sure you add to the conversation and don't spam. Use social bookmarking sites to bookmark any interesting content you have on your site and this will drive traffic too.

5. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Posting good content on a frequent basis will surely attract readers to your blog this is the first method for making them to sign up.Other thing is that if you give them some offers on signing up then they will surely show some interest.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good content is very important, I also think a clear direction or purpose will help a good layout that is pleasing to the eye will help people to return.

7. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest that you visit http://www.bloggerplugins.org/. I think they list
    over 100 plugins, you'll probably find there what you're looking for.

Besides this, you could start a poll or publish content about a controversial issue.
    That's something that will attract people and make them signup.

8. pwsolutions

pwsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Post attractive content and add features like pictures and videos.

9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

letting them sign up, meaning they can create blog post?
    allowing them to post with about 5 links in a blogpost will surely attract lots of them and won't even mind about that freeebook :D

have you advertise these in DP/WF?

10. Arlind

Arlind
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should write great content in order to persuade the readers that if they subscribe to your mail list they'll get some great content straight to their email inbox which they check many times a day...

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't have time to read all the emails I get. If a blogger emailed me a few times a day, I'd un-subscribe from the email list. Once a week would probably be enough, or perhaps send a summary email every time you make five posts.

12. Arlind

Arlind
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't mean that the blogger makes several posts a day to the inboxes. Once in 3 days or 2 days is great. What I meant is that the content is more "reachable" in the inbox than in the blog itself. And the traffic and returning visitors (aka readers :p) would increase.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So Fergal do you think that sending an email with all your blog posts for the day, everyday, can do bad?

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That will really depend on how much value your readers give to your content. I'll give you an example, I subscribe to Seth Godin's blog and I get lots of emails about his latest blog posts - he sends an email every time he makes a post. Personally I'd prefer if he only sent out an email once per week, but I'm a big fan of what he does so I don't un-subscribe.

However, like most people I get too many emails and I've un-subscribed from other blogs that emailed me too frequently. If they had emailed me just once a week, I would probably have stayed on their list, and make the odd visit to see what was happening with their blog.

In summary I'd prefer an email once per week, but if your members really value your content and they are not subscribed to too many email lists, they may be perfectly happy to receive an email every time you make a post.

15. iamjohns

iamjohns
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why don't you try facebook ..... it is a very productive way to advertise

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Feedburner doesn't sent out emails everytime I made a blog post.
    It only sent out e-mails to subscribers on a certain time of the day, containing all posts I made within that day.