How do i attract clients?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by 50Cent, Jul 10, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now the main problem i have is how do i get or attract clients to my services?

Most of you guys know what i always do to help people. Which is design.

Any advice you guys can give to help me out?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Best is to offer some incentives to first time customers.
    Like first time customers can get discounts on their first purchase, or you can offer the PSD file for free or for a small fee.

Besides, your design alone can attract people. :thumbsup:

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah i know. But i am not a well sort of a talking people.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The first thing to do is to decide on who your target customers are. Describe your ideal customer in as much detail as possible. For example will your customers be;

Businesses or individuals?
    At the high end or budget end of the market?
    If a business will they be large or small?
    Where will they be geographically?

Would I be right in saying that most of your customers will be individuals and in the budget end of the market?

Once you have a better understanding of who your potential customers are, it will be much easier to come up with ways to target them.

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah you are right, but how do i find this clients?

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you tried searching on job sites? You are from Singapore right?
    I think you should check out Jobstreet.com.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd suggest that you need a web page which shows a portfolio of your previous work and examples of the work you are capable of doing. As discussed in other threads, you could use something like WordPress.com to get you started.

Then start promoting your services in forums like this one (Business Advice Forum), Forum Promotion where you are already a member and on other webmaster and trading forums, such as the ones listed in our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

Many of those forums will have logo contests running, where the "client" will offer a certain prize for the best logo. Try entering some of those contests and see how it works out for you. You won't win every contest, especially at the start - in fact it may take some time before you win your first contest. However, you will be learning a lot and gaining invaluable experience along the way. When you don't win a contest spend some time looking at the logo that did win it and ask yourself how you can improve your own designs. Also ask the contest holder for some feedback on your entry and for suggestions on how you can improve your design. Another benefit of entering these contests is that you will be able to add your entries to your portfolio.

You might also be able to get some work from people you know personally, for example your school friends. Take every opportunity you can to tell the people you know, that you design logos and that you'd be happy to design one for them.

This will all take time, but if you keep working at it, you will start getting work - provided of course that you also continually improve your design skills.

Does that help, is it an approach you feel could work for you? Good luck with it.

8. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks! I will try it out