How do back links work on my website?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mtveter, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mtveter

mtveter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am so used to using leads for my business, but I am amazed how successful marketers get when they master using backlinks.
    Do I just put the right keywords on my site and hope for the best? Or do I need to submit my website with those keywords else where.

Thanks

Mike

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Backlinks are links from other sites that link to one of the pages on your site. These links can come from article submissions, press releases, forum and/or blog postings, etc. Once you know the right keywords, they are used in your title tags, meta description, and of course, in the content of the webpages that are related to the keywords. These same phrases would be used in the above mentioned articles, press releases,etc., and would be linked back to your site. These links would then be picked up by the search engines bots and spiders, and the more links you have(from the right kind of sites), the higher you will rank for those keywords.

3. mtveter

mtveter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to make sure I can understand this. So say that my business would be called "Joes Pizza". Does that mean when I write articles, blogs, and forum post; I would probably need to stick "Joes Pizza" somewhere. Or unless I put it at the end of the article. But also thanks for the good feedback.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, no. If someone is looking for "Joe's Pizza", they already know who you are and what you sell. On the other hand, if someone is looking for an "authentic italian pizza", and if you sell authentic italian pizza, you could get ranked for that phrase. The phrase would be used in a variety of blogs, articles, etc., and would link back to your site. You would also use the same phrase in the title and meta tags for your site, and in the content. Also, if people were able to order pizza or other main dishes from the restaurant online, you would use different phrases for each page, related to the page's content, and each page could be ranked for the phrases related to their content.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

6. brutus954

brutus954
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Once you know the right keywords, they are used in your title tags, meta description, and of course, in the content of the webpages that are related to the keywords.

7. saniathomas

saniathomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Back links not only improve Page Rank of a website but also help increase your ranking on Google's Organic Search. But that should be quality link(on high Page Rank websites) with right set of keywords.

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should be gaining backlinks but also optimizing those links, eg. in your rankings, if you want to aim at "furniture removals" then you would anchor your link with "Furniture Removals" because people will be searching for that term rather than your business name.

9. SocialMo

SocialMo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi mtveter. Backlinks are links from other sites to your site. In a simplified explanation, Google ranks your website with regards to keywords on their search results by counting how many backlinks your site has with that keyword. Websites with more backlinks with that keyword will rank higher than sites with less backlinks of a particular keyword.