How captchas work to increase signups?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Robert20, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Robert20

Robert20
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry for all the threads, I just found this forum and have many questions.

Do you think that captchas work to increase signup? Someone told me that we should use fun loving and pleasant captcha to our website so that users can take interest into registration to our website. Please let me know if you can help me with this.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately the use of captchas reduces sign ups and makes it more difficult for genuine visitors to interact with your site, however due to the level of spam on the web, they are a necessary evil. Personally I use reCaptcha and it works perfectly for my requirements. It is very popular on the web, which means that most of your visitors will be familiar with it and thus more likely to take the effort to fill in the required info.

3. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Robert30.
    This is a totally wrong idea, CAPTCHA's main and only purpose is security. You get more people to sign up with your site by marketing, ads and so on

4. sutindaya

sutindaya
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Captchas should decrease submissions by eliminating automated ones, but as indians are recruting workers to enter captchas 70 cents per 1000 captcas, soon they are not protecting SPAM anymore...

5. stevenricherd

stevenricherd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, but i didn't understood what is the meaning of that, how Indians are paying for entering captchas.

6. amy001

amy001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I use reCaptcha and it works perfectly for my requirements. It is very popular on the web, which means that most of your visitors will be familiar with it and thus more likely to take the effort to fill in the required info.

7. alex12

alex12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

CAPTCHA's is made only for security. so i don't think captchas increase signups or online business

8. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Due to antispam solutions becoming harder for spammers to get past, some companies pay people to solve CAPTCHA's - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/inside-indias-captcha-solving-economy/1835

As you can see there, a bot tries to sign up and loads the registration page, shows the captcha it is presented with to a human and they solve it and the bot enters the answer given by the human.

There are also the old fashioned pay humans to directly spam which is something I see quite often. This usually comes from India too. This is where people get paid a small amount to sign up to a site and include certain links into their signature or posts. If the links stay active for a set amount of time, they get paid. typegetrich(dot)com is an example of one of those sites.

Recaptcha is not the best of options as that has been cracked at the start of the year when a new version of XRumer (a popular spamming software) was released that have a high success rate in getting past ReCaptcha. I am not sure if Google made some changes and have the upper hand over the spammers again or not but going with a more unique CAPTCHA will be better. The spammers of spamming software will be targeting recaptcha as a top priority due to the sheer number of sites and forums that use it.

As sutindaya said, some day CAPTCHAs will become worthless when more and more humans are used to spam. That is where databases like stopforumspam.com come into play as they can help stop spammers (Bots and humans).

• Like Like x 1
  9. ClaudiusJaeger

ClaudiusJaeger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If anything, captchas DECREASE sign ups. Be sure to pick one that's actually legible, because some are terrible, and probably lead to frustration and higher exit rates.

The purpose of a captcha is to decrease the spam you receive.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. There are times with captchas are illegible and when you type what you see, it's wrong!
    As for me, I try at least 5 times and if I still can't get the right answer, I'll leave and look for another site.

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

If you have a good programming knowledge then you can design your own captcha. You just need a word library and associate the words with different images.

12. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can just use a question which needs to be answered. If you make the question complex so it can't be Googled but related to your site so real users would be able to answer it then it will be effective at stopping bits but also making it easier for users that struggle reading CAPTCHAs containing fuzzy backgrounds and hard to read letters.

• Like Like x 1
  13. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe think of a question easy for a human, but difficult for a bot. For example, maybe something related to the site. For example, if you're trying to protect a car selling site, you can ask a question like: Which part of a car opens to allow driver/passengers in. Answer: Door.