How can you avoid mental block when you are in a job interview?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by JPMaroney, Aug 26, 2014.

1. JPMaroney

JPMaroney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wanna share my first time interview after I graduated in college. That moment it was so unforgettable for me and I'am very nervous at that time because I don't have any ideas about the questions for me. So, I list a few things that made me a mental block.

-The angry face of the manager that makes me feel so nervous that goes into a mental block.
    -Locking of ideas about the questions given by the manager.
    -My heart beats very fast that made my voice trembled.

Funny isn't it?

Be true to yourself and always have a self confident.

2. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Take notes in to the interview in a professional looking folder. I have interviewed many people who have done this and I respect them for doing it

3. Aleena

Aleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    I have given many interviews when I was searching for a job. The only hurdle I had was mental block I don't know why I became confused. After giving so many interviews just to make my self more confidence and overcome this mental block issue. I have concluded that the only reason I was having that mental block was fear of not getting selected. When I stopped thinking this believe me I over come this mental block issue. Now I am happy and confident and the most important thing is just being myself :)

4. alexfernandes

alexfernandes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I too faced a similar situation in my first interview. This went on for 3 to 4 interviews and then finally I got a job. But after gaining experience, I did not face any mental block.

5. JPMaroney

JPMaroney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really? that's nice. I got a mental block because I am nervous and got confused Lol.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Yes, you are right and being confident can help us to stand up for any kind of hurdle situation.

6. JPMaroney

JPMaroney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, because I think all of us experienced this, Right? I appreciated your respectable manner. :)

7. Clarence.Burn

Clarence.Burn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I experienced this same situation but not totally nervous at that time, I don't know why I become a mental block but I got the job and happy.

8. JPMaroney

JPMaroney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really? Until now you're experiencing a mental block? I'm just curious and congratz cause I think you did well.

9. jaynorth

jaynorth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is true facing interview for the first time, can be difficult ask. Where many goes through nervous breakdown or mental blockage. But keeping our selves confident, at the same time focused can help us to beat interview blues with ease.

10. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say that interview prep and overall experience would assist with this.
    When you've established yourself in a certain field, at some point interviews are very similar.
    After sitting through several, you begin to understand what is expected, and the general progression and talking points.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mental block is usually caused by panic and panic is caused by fear and fear is caused by lack of self confidence on the subject matter. So there, it is clear that a person going for a job interview should have a list of what he should know. First off is the job or position that he is applying for. Next is the the company that is applying into and third is his education and experience. If you have mastered those points then there is no need to fear the interview.

12. Tonylest75

Tonylest75
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As we have seen, mostly people just afraid at the 1st or 2nd job interviews only, but I have more than 4 years experience and given more than 50 job interview, but still I have some unknown fear at the time of interview.

13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always prepare. Whenever I've had to perform a task I was nervous about, I would make a list of salient points. If I needed additional preparation, I would write a script, and sometimes rehearse, either in front of a mirror, or with a friend or loved one. Visual imagery can also help to decrease anxiety and increase confidence levels, which can help ensure a successful interview or other task.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. srock

srock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently participated in a workshop at the beginning of which the leader shared a confidence-boosting practice. She'd learned about it from a scientific study on body posture and confidence. The study had two groups of participants interview for the same position. One group was asked to stand with their hands on their hips, with chest elevated (think the "superman" pose) for one minute prior to interviewing. The interviewers, blind to the purpose of this study, were instructed NOT to ask questions of this first group. The control group did nothing before the interview, and they were interviewed as normal. Everyone in the first group got hired, despite being asked no questions, while each of the second group were not hired. I did this right before my last job interview and I got offered the job!

• Like Like x 1
  15. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my case I am aware what it is that might cause a mental block so I make some ways to avoid it. If I were overly excited or anxious I tend to lose focus and that could cause me to freeze during the interview. What I do is I prepare a day before the interview and I do not stress over it on the day itself. Sometimes I do not even prepare just to see if I will survive and surprisingly I perform better because I am in my relaxed state of mind

16. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes life happens and you'll get that mental block. But the best way to prepare yourself is really to be as prepared as you possibly can be. That's both in terms of having all the prep done on the organisation, the types of questions etc, but also in terms of your own inner game. Deep breathing, a mini mediation and positive self talk can be useful in stressful (and any) situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SF Best Limousine

SF Best Limousine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mental block comes no matter how prepared you are, I experienced this when I was in college and did a reporting in front of the class.. I know to myself that I am ready but because I got nervous, I forgot to to say some important points.. It's so frustrating because I am hoping to impress my professor but it turn back negative just because I was mentally blocked.

18. StuartSpindlow

StuartSpindlow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is really funny thing dear, while facing an interview the most important thing is your confidence.

19. Katlin

Katlin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First job interview is something very difficult to forget. Most of us get nervous, which is the major reason of our failure. The best thing to do is believe in yourself and your skills. With a big smile on your face answer every question and try to satisfy the interviewer. It is not necessary that you know the answer of every question, but whatever you know, express it without fear.

20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, yes, interviews could really be nerve-wracking, but you could pull it off and gain a new career if you just try to project confidence without being too arrogant. Stay calm and focused as much as possible. Be honest and true to yourself.