How can i start a online business selling products? ?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by jeena1, Mar 13, 2009.

1. jeena1

jeena1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I really want to start a home business selling pet supplies. I was reading some articles, but none answer my question: What do i have to do? where can i keep the merchandise? do i have to buy wholesale or just buy a few at first? Do i need a P.O box, and is it a good idea, and so much more. My point is, what should i do first on order to have a online store?

T shirt Embroidery
    Seo services

#1 jeena1, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Jeena. We will be able to give you more helpful suggestions if you give us a little more info on what you are looking to do and your own background.

Have you any experience in the pet supplies business?

Have you looked for any drop-shippers of pet supply products? If you found a drop shipper to work with, you wouldn't need to store the product. Basically you would make the sales, give the order details to the drop shipper and they would make the delivery to the customers.

Have you considered selling through eBay or using a merchant service like Yahoo Store.

Please keep us updated as to how you are progressing and we will give you all the advice and support we can, to help you get up and running.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to BAF, Jeena1. :)

You'll need to buy your own domain and build a site obviously and then add the shopping cart to it if you want an online store. How will you go about that? Is it something you can do yourself and have experience of or will you need to employ someone? Those are costs both in time and money you'll also need to consider.

What about competition? Have you thought about who you'd be up against for customers online and how you're going to stand out from the crowd? Do you have a USP?

How do you plan to fund the project? If you are going to approach a bank for a business loan, do you have a business plan you can present to them? Right now given the shape of the economy it would have to be very convincing indeed as the banks become more selective about handing out cash.

How about local contacts, do you have any? Chambers of commerce are good and your local council may have a small business advice center that can help you. Please share more so we can guide you more. :)

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum Jeena.

As Fergal has indicated, most people start out by selling in ebay or yahoo auctions first. After they've established their presence there, they don't totally abandon ebay or yahoo auctions but start building their online stores and linking to this from ebay and yahoo.

I think that you've already taken your first step when you thought of the idea of selling pet supplies/merchandise. But with this idea, you need to test it out first in the real marketplace. So what better way to research if your idea is a good one or not than selling it in the real marketplace - either ebay or yahoo auctions.

5. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Jeena, have you thought of selling electronic goods in your niche?
    Selling e-product is much more easier in the internet as you don't have much cost
    involve in your business and you don't have to worry about shipping as well.

If you are really serious in building an internet business, my suggestion is that you
    find a mentor or buy a proven program from gurus out there and follow through.
    This will shortcut your learning and get you faster to where you want to be.

Make sure you carry out your market research and keyword research before you
    dive into your internet business.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Shawn, have you any suggestions on how to find the right mentor or proven programme?

7. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, for me, it depends on what niche you are in.
    As long as you follow through the footstep of the top 5% of the people
    in your market, you will be in the right course.

No matter what market you are in, you have the opportunity of
    making money from there. But you must make sure you are one of the
    top person in your industry, and you will definitely make a killing there.

8. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just to add another idea. Amazon sells pet products, and their affiliate program is very easy. You could experiment with trying to sell pet products this way and see how it goes. Then, if you like it and it seems to be working, you can cut Amazon out and go directly to the manufacturers. Just an idea.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whenever I read or hear of Amazon, I always think of books. Maybe that's because most people who buy books online buy them from amazon. :)

Anyway, that's a very good idea of first joining Amazon's affiliate program Flashgordonweb. So aside from ebay and yahoo auctions, Jeena might also try amazon.

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi!!Jeena
    Apart from all these solutions mentioned , I would like to caution you agains't most vital part of your business- Logistics Solutions...
    It is the main part of your business which will decide whether your products are reaching to right customer at right time.!!!So build effective Logistic Network strategy....:)

11. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're selling physical goods, you might take a look at commissionjunction.com
    It is the largest affiliate network for physical product.
    Big name companies such as Sony are also one of the merchants there.

But I'll recommend you to try out informational products because it is easier
    to handle and you will profit more from informational products that physical
    one.

12. man2008

man2008
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nazreen is right. You can start selling your product on e-bay or yahoo auctions. It will not only increase your chances of selling but you will also get good customers. You can also put up your product in a directory of your country say for india it is indiamart.com.:)