How can I protect my online business ideas?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Shotgun, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alright, so say you have a good very good website idea, like Twitter.

However, you don't have the skills to develop the site, therefore, the ideal solution is to hire somebody with these skills (e.g. a programmer) to develop this site for you.

How can this idea be protected from the person you hire? If he has the knowledge and expertise in creating such a site, couldn't he just run away with your idea and use it for himself?

2. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hm... good question.....Well first i think there is somewhere to submit your idea and protect it.
    Copyright is always good. Also you have to get a lot of feedback for that programmer you want to hire or at least know him very good.
    Its never easy to find a thrust worthy worker on the internet....

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Protecting your idea is an issue that all business people experience at one time or another. It is difficult to know who to trust and there is a risk that someone could steal your great idea.

On the other hand, it is worth remembering that there are lots of great ideas out there and real success does not come from the idea but how it is implemented. At some stage you have to take the risk and share your idea with others. If you don't take that risk your idea will remain an idea forever and never actually get implemented. Most people have lots of ideas of their own and are not actively looking for other people's ideas to steal. Most ideas are not unique, when we have a good idea, chances are very high that someone, somewhere else is also thinking along the same lines.

One thing you can do to protect your idea, is to have anyone you disclose it to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). You can read more about non-disclosure agreements here on Wikipedia. This template for a non-disclosure agreement might also be helpful to you.

In summary I would say use a template to write an NDA, have anyone you disclose the idea to sign it, but don't be too precious about protecting your idea - if you don't share it, you will never implement it. If you are really concerned or the idea involves a lot of investment you may wish to seek professional legal advice.

Does that help?

Good luck with it.

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing would be to not to disclose complete idea to your programmer/designer. Just tell them basics that you want something like Twitter, or anything related. And when you need some changes made give them specific orders. Never ever tell your idea publicly or else there are lot's of chances of getting copied.

5. jacobbon

jacobbon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can always make him sign a bond at the start of the development & do some more legal activities by consulting a professional and play on a safe side

6. kashifkashu

kashifkashu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can share limited information with your developer but on the other hand its practically not possible coz he is only the person who is going to implement it fully, incomplete info will result unexpected. Bond with person is good option

7. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, there could be some sort of a contract where you can have him virtually or physically embed his or her signature. Indicate all the details there and keep a copy of all your conversations or threads of email. Everything should be documented, in black and white.

8. ikelvin

ikelvin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

do it yourself

i think the best is for you to do it yourself, it will only take some time but i beth you it pays, apart from going with your idea how are you sure he will handle the way you would want it to be? my advise is to go get the knowledge it will serve you now and in future.

9. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Solution to prevent an idea

Good Question!

Choose a programmer or developer who is a part time Freelancer. Which means, he is on a full time job already and he will help you in developing your idea of the website. This will not give him enough time to work your idea for himself, though he is already too busy. (I am not sure if this sounds reasonable) :rolleyes:

#9 Andym, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have a good relationship with your employee or the one you hired. I believe in reciprocity, when you give something good, same thing will be returned to you. And if you really want to make sure, have a contract. Though you will be working together online, I think it's still possible to obtain such. As i've said, it's still best to have it documented. :)

11. Dyson Miles

Dyson Miles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generally, "ideas" are not protected by intellectual property laws. Protection is generally limited to inventions, material formulas (but not math), "works" such as witing or music, and so on -- the tangible.

At least one contentious exception has arisen lately -- "business process" patents which are new, unique ways of operating a business -- fuzzy stuff at best. Maybe the most well known example is Amazon.com's "one-click ordering" which is still (I think) in place in the US, but generally not honored anywhere else.

12. chloe_wong

chloe_wong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, sign contract, and don't 100% reveal all your original idea completely