How can i make my website busy without burning thousands of pounds???

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by pyramidjames, Sep 17, 2010.

1. pyramidjames

pyramidjames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I own pyramid.com its been live since 2005, I have found it extremely difficult to promote as my background is distribution not ecommerce, I have spent a lot of money and time developing the website and the internal infrastructure which allows me to link directly into my suppliers enabling me to get access to whichever product I may need. It’s the same business model that Ebuyer, play, Dabs have developed. Over the last 5 years I have spent thousands with external marketing companies and internal staff trying to get the site going, unfortunate I have been let down badly.
    I am looking for a partner/person to get involved, I have the site, the distribution faculty, the supply lines etc but I need somebody who can do the following.
    Email Marketing
    SEO
    PPC
    Affiliates
    Future design
    And more.

I firmly believe the opportunity is still very good, the site can become other Ebuyer etc as I have the same supply lines I just don’t have the brand or the traffic.

I am not interested in marketing companies as I am not going to put any more money into marketing without a guaranteed return. If you are interested please contact me for more information.

I currently own 100% of Pyramid.com so who I decide to work with is down to me.

pyramid.com currently has around 25000 unique visitors each month which is growing slowly.

James

2. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At the 1st glance of your website, the impression was good. I think you need a better logo? Or the currently one is already designed by a designer.

May i know more about the future design?

3. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would think about centering the main block of the website and getting rid of the sidewards scrolling.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum James, thanks for joining. That's an extremely valuable domain name. If the website is not making a profit for you, you might consider selling the domain name. One dictionary word dot com domains can fetch high prices. If you do decide to sell have a look at Sedo.com.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

James:

I understand your reluctance to get involved with another marketing company because we hear similar comments from our prospects all the time. Some of them have spent years, and thousands of dollars, with marketing companies who did not get them results. Even now, most of the companies in our industry cannot get their clients highly ranked in the search engines in a reasonable length of time. Hiring someone to do the job for you may not solve the problem. One person does not have the resources, or the time, to get the results you need as quickly as a marketing company can.
    As far as a guarantee is concerned, no legitimate company will give you a guarantee. Those that do will get you ranked for phrases that nobody searches - which means a guarantee will not guarantee an increase in visitors or income.
    I checked your Google rankings, and you are definitely not ranked highly for very many phrases. I am also having a preliminary analysis done on your homepage - I can post the result here, or PM the results to you if you prefer.
    There are legitimate marketing companies out there - we are one of them. If you wish, you can visit my website by clicking the link in my signature, and requesting more information.

6. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I agree you have a valuable domain name - so if you can't convert sales on it you should sell it.

A few comments:
    - I was surprised to see that your web site is ranked "orange" on my Web of Trust (WOT) plugin on firefox - usually this indicates that at least some visitors don't have high confidence in your site.
    - Are you tracking where the 25K visitors are going? I would expect at least some reasonable percentage to convert to sales. If they are not, you need to do some analysis to find our where they are jumping out. I call this plugging the leaks. In many cases offering a person too many choices on your site results in them going nowhere. Consider limiting choices up front and relying more on the search function.
    - Put the search box front and center like Amazon does - most people will search before they walk through a bunch of menus/categories.
    - You might want to consider a blog, twitter, and facebook. A blog in particular can help drive traffic through fresh content which attracts the search engines. Fresh content is the best way to drive traffic without spending a lot of money.
    - Take a look at Newegg.com - they do extremely well here in the states in a niche very much like yours.

Brad