How can I effectively use my new HR Manager

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by zacharyrs, Jul 12, 2013.

1. zacharyrs

zacharyrs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So my company is growing, and we are hiring for more roles. I have just hired my first HR Manager, and want to make sure that I use her to her highest level; and help our company on many levels.

My main question to start is how do I use this person effectively? What metrics should I be holding her up to? More importantly, how do I use this person to create a great team environment. My company is a remote based company with team members all over the globe, so we are not next to each other physically each day.

Thanks for any advice, I need it!

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly, Welcome to BAF zacharyrs. I want to ask you what is your Business about? Depending on the size of your company or organization, the HR manager has responsibility for all of the functions that deal with the needs and activities of the company's people including these areas of responsibility.

Recruiting
    Hiring
    Training
    Organization Development
    Communication
    Performance Management
    Coaching
    Policy Recommendation
    Salary and Benefits
    Team Building
    Employee Relations
    Leadership

And, when you ask the question, How will you use HR manager effectively?, as you can see, the answer is a lot. The role bears responsibility for all of the processes and systems related to people in an organization. The role must support the work of managers who supervise and lead the work of these people. The HR Manager must develop the skills of their managers and their organization to do these activities well. The job of the HR Manager is a constant challenge as HR staff balance many roles and activities in support of their organizations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Or ask her if there is something that she wants to improve or change? Maybe she will come up with some nice idea :)

4. shane

shane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HR can help you in a lot of ways. They can help guide you in ways that will keep you out of lawsuits. They can help set wages that are competitive so you can attract and retain good employees. They can help track safety initiatives and provide support dealing with difficult employees. Evaluating an HR manager with specific metrics will be difficult because there are many factors outside their control - if you track employee turn-over or satisfaction for example, you also have to consider the work conditions themselves and the behavior of the other managers. In my opinion HR involves many "soft skills" that can't be directly measured, but it is a very valuable resource if used correctly.

Regards,
    Shane

5. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think to take the complete benefit out of an employee you have to provide her with tension free environment,don't pressurize her.let her give her own ideas and if you don't want to imply those ideas don't cancel out directly.Be peaceful and calm and payment should be satisfactory to the employee according to her work.

6. angelOnEarth

angelOnEarth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can you use your HR Manager effectively in what way? On hiring for more employees?
    You've hired your new HR Manager for some reason and I think you do know her capabilities and her Managerial skills. But I guess if you want to really lay out what she needs to do especially when hiring talents for your business, maybe you can somehow replicate Tech Giants' strategies when they are hiring. You could let her evaluate candidates by test that of course directly correlate to the work they are going to do and it is also important to be very selective. Your HR should really put a lot of time and attention into your recruitment process.

I hope it helps. :)

7. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well as you said your employees are not next to each other physically each day, in this case your HR must arrange Skype video calls with the employees. By this way HR will be in touch with employees problems and also aware of their performance.
    If you have hired an HR person then definitely you have hired for a reason. HR has an important role in building a great company.
    HRM is vast field with great responsibilities which includes;
    • Hiring
    • Recruitment
    • Organization Development
    • Building public relations
    • Salary and compensation
    • Performance management

Hire an HR person and He/She will take care of 90% of organization matters.

8. ferrychristian

ferrychristian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

H.R. is the only person , who knows the roots of the organization, who actually knows what is happening in the organization, so first and the foremost thing, that H.R. should do is to focus on the coordination of the employees, there should not be any hesitation among the employees. Then only an organization can run smoothly.