How can I define and develop my target market

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by chemicals, Aug 12, 2010.

1. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi you guys.I'm doing business about chemical products.

I try promoting sites.but there seems not so many forums for chemical business.am I right?

if someone would like to suggest some forums about doing chemical business,I'm be much appreciated.

2. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello chemicals, welcome to BAF Forum,

What's the link to your site? What chemical products do you sell?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi chemicals, do you sell chemicals to individuals or to other businesses?

Have you searched on Google, for relevant forums?

4. nbeam

nbeam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I am brand new to the forum. I work for a company called ActionCOACH that helps business owners figure out stuff like, how do I define my target market. I will say this, you are asking the EXACT right question :). Once you figure out your target, you are in a much much better place to make money with your business. Check out this series of articles on marketing; it should give you some great ideas on how to figure out your target.

This is the link to the first article (of four) in the series. It directly addresses figuring out your target. I hope it is helpful:

h-t-t-p://actioncoachohio.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-create-marketing-plan-that-works.html

Here is a link to the rest of the series:
    h-t-t-p://actioncoachohio.blogspot.com/search/label/How%20to%20Create%20a%20Marketing%20Plan%20that%20Works

Tell me what you think or where you might need some clarification! :)

5. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well,I'm a producer and manufacturer of organic chemicals used in industry and other chemical fields.
    My site shows in my sig links.
    I searched on google.But there are few business forums for chemical producers like me.So do you think I should find a forum which is for chemical products and promote my site there?Is it necessary?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If I was selling chemical products to chemical companies I would focus my energy on selling via direct sales, i.e. I would contact the relevant people in the companies who would be potential clients and make a sales pitch to them. Is this an approach that could work for you?

7. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can I define and develop my target market?

As you are doing business of chemical product, then obviously your target audience is the person and business owner who also need the chemical products. :confused:But, you have not mentioned that which kind of chemical product you are selling, it may be related to medical industry, beauty industry or any other else. :rolleyes:As i thought for chemical industry direct marketing, B2B will be beneficial to you. :)

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal on this. It would be very hard to sell an specific chemical online and promote it via forums.
    Why? Internet is broad and users are very much from all over the world.
    And as we all knew, it's not advisable to ship chemicals internationally.

I suggests you to check out some chemical forum that targets your country.
    This way, you could get some future customers locally.

9. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ok.I understand your advice.
    but here are some other questions.if I contact with others as personal,will they think I'm a spammer?
    and i wanna use twitter and facebook to promote my site for finding a potential market.what do you think about that?how to use them well for chemical business?

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't they will see you as a spammer if you contacted the right person and your email is not computer generated.
    Regarding Facebook and Twitter, yes, you can use both to promote your business especially Facebook. Just create a fan page to your site and promote that page on various related fan pages and your site will get asome impressions, and maybe, potential customers.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

chemicals this thread deals with the topic of promoting your business through Twitter and FaceBook and should point you in the right direction. Once you've had a look at it, please reply here with any specific questions you have.

Not if you do it right. As GekiDan says, if you send out a computer generated email to a large list, that will be treated as spam. However, if you select contacts individually and contact them on a personal basis that will generally not be seen as spam. What means do you intend to use to contact them - e.g. email, phone or by post?

12. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're operating in a very niche sector. Using techniques like social media advertising can work well, but only if you can attract enough followers/fans in that niche to warrant the time you'd need to invest into those platforms. In a niche as small as yours, that could potentially be an issue. If that time can be better invested in another platform/method that allows you to achieve a higher return for the investment you make (be it time or money), then you should focus on the alternatives.

Have you looked at LinkedIn as an option? Here, by joining groups related to the chemical industry, you have instant access to your target market. By joining in with discussions in these groups (or starting discussions yourself), you can expand your network with like minded people/piers/your target market (and potentially cross convert them with your facebook page/website blog or newsletter/twitter account/etc.). By using linked in, you also have a far larger proportion of senior management/decision makers relative to other media. If you get your information in front of these people, you have more potential for them to contact you with a view to buying/using your products. So it would appear (as an outsider that's unfamiliar with your specific target market) that this might be a good avenue to pursue.

With any marketing techniques, the important factor is what results you get for your investment (again, be that the investment of time or money). Each platform will have positives and negatives, you just need to monitor which one is providing the best results for you (and which ones are returning no or poor results) and then allocate your time and/or budget accordingly.

13. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ok,I knew about how to begin and what to do.
    facebook and twitter are 2 useful communities for Internet Marketing.I need some time to begin my business on them.
    and I think I can try email marketing for promotion.

14. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know there is some great advice in this thread.

First yep know who are buying - who the decision makers are and how best to contact them.

I agree with PaulPinnacle that LinkedIN may be a better start than Facebook or Twitter because it gives you access to the company execs and decision makers. It also lets you connect with people who can refer you to the right person in the company or serve to refer the company to you.

Paul touched on what I was going to say. Before wasting huge amounts of time on social media look at return on investment. What is the most targeted, leveraged way to connect to your market quickly. Whatever form of advertising or marketing you do you need to get a good return on investment. Some overlook social media may be cost free but time intensive and time equals money.

Direct marketing may get better results. I would also be tempted to speak to people before cold-emailing. Depending on which country you are in legislation can mark you as spam just for promoting a product or business through unsolicited emails.

15. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

so if I try to use LinkedIn to promote my site,I need to have my own profile about my company right?then try to attract some friends who are doing the same business like I do and see if there's an opportunity of cooperation.

I tried facebook and twitter.in short time,I can't find enough friends...that's a big problem to me...

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

chemicals, did you read the thread I linked to (in post 11) regarding promoting your site through Twitter and FaceBook? Could that approach work for you?

17. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can i define and denvelop my target market

Hey,

If you wants to business by the social networking site, then there are many other sites also available excluding twitter, facebook and linkedin like Bebo, Flickr, Multiply, my space, freindster, etc. You can get it from the net also.

And after all it will take some time to create the beneficial network and setting up of good business on networking sites.

SO just keep trying, you will definitely get success. BEST OF LUCK. :)

#17 rapidbilling, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
  18. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yup I checked your post and the thread about it.
    well I tried to contact some nice sites about chemicals by their emails,just wanted to exchange links.I don't know if my writing had some problems,but few of them replied me back.and I can't use linkedIn well...am I doing proper and at a right direction?

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

chemicals link exchanges is something that has gone out of favour with many webmasters and many of them will not respond to link exchange requests, because they are receiving lots of them and some of them are from spammy sites.

Have you used Twitter Search to find people talking about your products or industry and then started following them?

Have you set up a FaceBook fan page for your business? If you have can you please share a link to it?

20. lynn1221

lynn1221
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if someone would like to suggest some forums about doing chemical business,I'm be much appreciated