Hosting Uptime guarantee

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by cupid, Mar 11, 2013.

1. cupid

cupid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why do most (web) host give an uptime guarantee? Some even of 100%!

I used to have an uptime guarantee as well, but it is kind of bullsh*t. As you can't guarantee anything, all kinds of things can happen like a terrorist attack or what ever.

Shouldn't the hosting industrie let this guarantee go? Do potential clients even look at it?

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The uptime guarantee is measure of the reliability of your service and that you will make sure you live up to that mark and if not then the customer does not suffer due to your inability to meet that. That said, if there is something like an attack or a natural calamity then it is beyond one's control and you can do much about it. However, cloud can be an answer to it with multiple locations.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I believe that potential clients do look at the guarantee, and that's why hosting companies publicise having one. I notice that HostGator provide an uptime guarantee of 99.9% and they would only do that if it was something their clients and potential clients value.

As you say "you can't guarantee anything, all kinds of things can happen like a terrorist attack or what ever" but I suppose a guarantee is really a reassurance. For example, if you buy a PC with a one year guarantee, that doesn't mean that there is absolutely zero chance that something will malfunction on the PC. What it does mean, is that in the event of a malfunction the company will stand by their guarantee and compensate you in some way for the breach of guarantee, perhaps by replacing or repairing the faulty PC.

The same concept would apply to a hosting guarantee. If the hosting company did not live up to their guarantee, the customer would be entitled to compensation of some sort.

4. tom52

tom52
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although that might sound unnecessarily, the uptime is very important when servers are maintained under an industrial context and host critical applications such as banking systems.
    I finde info thet Amiga computer at a Hungarian television channel is reported having 16 years of uptime. The computer runs the channel's Teletext. So in some cases 100% uptime is essential!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jakson0100

jakson0100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Tom52, uptime is essential but not of primary importance in Addiction job we do, except in those specific situations demanding!

6. rebena

rebena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Uptime is the amount of time that a server has stayed up and running.Uptime is a great measure of how good a Web hosting provider is at keeping their systems up and running.I am having my Guaranteed 99.9% uptime with Sri Ganesh Hosting.They really provide Excellent web hosting services.

7. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The uptime guarantee is very important. Normally scheduled maintenance or acts of god aren't included. Some potential and current clients appreciate that a host stands behind their service enough to offer a guarantee of Web site accessibility.

It's all in the fine print, though. How does the host guarantee it? How do they measure? If they simply base it from ping that may not be enough as the Web server or database server being down will affect your site's accessibility as well. And how do they compensate? Free month, refund... it all depends and every host is different.

Any potential hosting client needs to make sure they fully understand HOW the host is offering their uptime guarantee as their method may only be a marketing tactic and real peace of mind.

Every host is different. You have to read the fine print.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeniffer

jeniffer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

100% uptime is a major metric to identify the quality service by hosting companies but not easy without a large set-up. Companies required own server with quality service. Cyber attack is very common today and hosting companies are ready to get rid of such activities. This is the reason they guaranteed 100% up time.

Live2Support which is a leader in live chat service also assure 100% uptime. Your chat service on your website will never be affected in any circumstances.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a pity, I feel that it would be a more accurate reflection of the quality of a host if they were included. I'd prefer go with a host, who didn't need to bring the server and hence my site, down much for scheduled maintenance. If my site is down, it's down and it doesn't really matter to me why it's down.

I do realise that this is the way it's done in the industry GeekGhost, my comments are not a reflection of your service, which I know is great from personal experience.

10. mikewashtm

mikewashtm
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's really no guarantee that a hosting provider could keep their promise. Anything could happen. That's why I always check a providers track record of downtimes. That will give you an idea on how reliable they are. [​IMG]