Hosting test

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by pendelton, May 17, 2008.

1. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Last week I did a test on two hosting companies I have heard good things about.

Company A, 1and1.com is not a good host, if you like any control over your site.
    I tried installing a CMS on my site with their click and build service, and I could not install a new theme because it ad a directory set as unwritable. I tried FTPing in to the site to change permissions, I was denied permission.
    I tried uploading and installing the CMS and it just would not let me.
    Tech support was useless, telling me it was my error. Sorry, I owned a hosting business, I know a bit about it.
    To set up databases, or the click and build CMS I was given one notice that it would take 12 hours and another telling me 30 minutes. This is total crap except that they micro manage everything.

Company B hostgator.com
    This was like I ran my company. You sign up, get access, and can do anything you want in seconds, set up a DB, just enter the details and you have it, upload and install a CMS, there you go, it is ready for use. Want to upload and install that custom template you made, done.
    Tech support, well, I never needed them.
    I set up 24 domains in less time than I spent dealing with 1&1, and that included registrations and DNS set up on both the server and at godaddy.

There is no comparison really, hostgator just sinks 1&1.

I didn't need much space, so I am of the mind to believe that the reseller account I got from hostgator has the full 24GB of space.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've also had a very positive experience with HostGator. I also used their online live tech support and it was excellent.

3. avi007i

avi007i
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya hostgator is recommended by every internet marketer. Even Rich jerk and the guy from forex enterprise recommend it. But does hostgator has a friendly CPANEL like 000webhost ?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, HostGator has cPanel.

5. Ducky

Ducky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have used HostGator before, and was very pleased for it. Like Fergal said, online tech support was great!

6. yardaniaa

yardaniaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use
    110mb.com there is good hosting
    almoustly I use no-ip.com and websitewizard.com
    for dns services I used freedns.afraid.org