Hosting 2.0: Shared Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Asswass, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Asswass

Asswass
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to share with you a solution for web 2.0.

You see, I have a theory that web 2.0 is about to colapse, especially websites like MySpace, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. My theory may sound crazy to you but I used real facts to support it.

My Theory is really a solution for these big websites that are loosing millions of dollars every month due to huge hosting bills and not enough avertising revenue. This solution could cut their hosting costs significally and it could really help them on the long run.

I wrote 3 posts about Shared Hosting and I want to share them with you:

Here's the first post: http://www.asswass.com/hosting-20-future-web-hosting.html

I'm still working on the last post, but I would really want to hear your opinion.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your proposed solution is built around members of social networking sites hosting their content such as videos and photos on their own PC's. It's a nice idea, but I'm sorry to say it won't work because;

• When members turn off their PC this will result in a missing file and broken link on the social networking site
    • Many members will have slow connections, if the social networking site has to wait for content to upload from members' PC's this will seriously increase page load time
    • Popular content will get removed. By way of example some videos on YouTube get millions of views. Members will not have the capacity on their home PC's, to handle this amount of bandwidth. Hence, the really popular content will not get displayed on the social networking site
    • Difficulties with policing - members could publish a file on the social networking site and have it approved and attract lots of traffic and then change the file on their PC, to something that is against the social networking site's terms and conditions. The difficulty here is that social networking sites would have to constantly check and police files, as opposed to the current situation where they only need to verify that each file meets their terms and conditions once.

Your solution is a clever approach and you have been thinking outside of the box, but you will have to find a way to deal with the issues above, before it can work.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So in a nutshell, the reason that you think that these big online businesses will fail is that their expenses will be greater than their gains, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In my opinion, I don't think that these businesses will go bust any time soon. For Myspace firing 30% of their workforce outside the US, this might or might not be a signal of them going out of business. But what this really means is that they're cutting on their costs because they're not as profitable as the previous years.

As for Youtube, this is the most popular video-sharing site in the world so I don't think that it will go bust anytime soon too. With it's popularity, a lot of companies would want to advertise here so unless some other video-sharing site will knock them out of the top spot, they will just continue on being very profitable.

4. Asswass

Asswass
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing guys:

@ Fergal: I'm not saying that they can do it with today's technology. I now that it is impossible and your arguments are 100% true. With my solution I'm proposing a new technology where people could host their own content without uploading it to the website's servers.

I was going to talk about on my next post but I can give a preview of what I'm proposing:
    1) I was thinking of a portable server the size of an external USB hard drive.
    2) It should be small and inexpensive.
    3) You can access the server by wifi or USB with your computer.
    4) Connect it 24 hours to the internet.
    5) Limit the number of access at the same time. For example: Only 10 people can watch the video or the picture at the same time.
    6) If your server is off, then tell the user that the content is not available at that time.
    7) The file would not be roaming around your server. Each website would have a software that the user must download. This software would be the gateway to the user's files.

Well, it's just a crazy idea but I do believe is viable. And imagine that if this personal server would exist, you wouldn't have to host your forum on someone else’s servers.

@Nazreen
    1) MySpace was accquired by News Corp. for $580 million. I don't think they reach $10 million in revenue a year. This means that News Corp will recover their investment in about 50 years.
    2) YouTube is loosing $480 million a year in hosting costs. How much more will Google keep on financing this huge losses?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a fantastic and innovative idea, maybe you should research it a little more and see if you can make a business out of it.

When you come to Ireland you could explore the idea by participating on a business innovation programme like this one.

6. Asswass

Asswass
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad you like my idea Fergal, I do want to do some more research regarding this issue. I'm going to take a look at that programme. Thanks Fergal.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Once you've had a look at that programme let me know if it interests you and I'll send you details of similar programmes in other parts of Ireland.

8. Asswass

Asswass
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is my last post in my blog about Hosting 2.0: Shared Hosting

http://www.asswass.com/hosting-20-real-shared-hosting-post-4.html

Thanks a lot Fergal.