Host

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by ace, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you think its a good idea to start a host now? Starting a host costs a lot. A VPS and dedicated sever costs like $100 monthly and you need a good software like WHMCS which also cost a lot of money. You need a lot of time to get the host active and start earning money from it. You could do a free host but then the income will be limited. What are your thoughts on starting a host?

2. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know too much about it, but the idea does interest me.

How would you differentiate yourself from the fierce competition?

3. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That would be a good question. There are so many good cheap hosts out there. If you do something like unlimited space for $1, you may get some clients but it will take time to earn enough to break even.

4. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting idea, $1 per month? So you would need 100 clients monthly just to ensure no losses?

5. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is a good idea but you need lots of clients. Hosts are hard nowadays with all the competition and prices. I think its not always a good idea to start a host as you will lose a lot of money if you fail.

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So what do you think would make a successful host?

7. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, if you start a host, you have to learn that you will not have many customers for the first year that you are open, maybe even longer. You need to have patience and a lot of promotion. People don't really trust the smaller and newer companies because they are always know to all of the sudden shut down their host. That is why when I am looking for a host, I always consider the more well established hosts.

8. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In all honesty, I don't think there's much point. I mean, a few minutes ago, I saw a thirteen year old hiring staff for a new host. They are getting so popular and you will have so much competition.

9. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My point exactly, it's just too crowded unless you really have something unique that sets you apart.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

For a new host to be successful you probably need to target a very specific market and be the very best within that niche. For example you could focus on providing hosting for a particular type of website or you could concentrate on your local geographic market and become known locally as the person who knows about website hosting.

You could also keep your expenses down initially by getting a reseller account rather than a VPS or dedicated server.

11. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That targeted niche idea is pretty good to be honest, I hadn't thought of that. So blog hosting for example?

12. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats a great idea. You will also need a very high uptime and a friendly support team. Low prices can also help. A reseller would be a good idea as its a lot cheaper.