Hospital Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Amrita, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Amrita

uix_expand uix_collapse

Apr 8, 2013
    I really want to open a gynecology hospital in delhi....I am a BHMS doctor and don't have much experience in business, right now running a small clinic. I am planning to open a clinic in delhi/ncr. I have so many questions in my mind.

1.How much capital i should have to start with.. which include land, construction, employes, equipments etc...
    2.I am a BHMS doctor so i have to hire some gynecologist and professionals...Will they help me with the equipments and other requirements or supplies needed in the hospital? there any legal procedures before opening a hospital.
    4.What type of agreements should i make with the doctors to avoid any kind of misunderstanding in future.
    5.Is there any advisers in the market who can help me to understand the whole business plan of hospital business.

2. magician661

uix_expand uix_collapse

Jul 18, 2008
    Land and construction

The first thing to figure out is land. Keeping the approachability and transportability in mind, one should ideally look for non-agricultural land and it should be designated for hospitals. You can obtain this information from the land records of the local authorities or municipal corporations. In case the land is not designated for hospitals, you will have to notify the local authorities about the change of users.

To start construction, you will need certain documents, such as the land title deed, corporate or company details, permission from the local authority to use land space for construction, building permit, tax identification card and the architect’s plan. The architect’s plan must be approved by the local authorities before construction can commence. A certificate of no objection also needs to be procured from the local authorities.

On obtaining electricity supply and setting the tiles, you can get a completion certificate from the authorities after the premises has been inspected. An occupation certificate is issued after all clearances are obtained.

A hospital’s load requirement is calculated based on the lighting, air-cooling and medical equipment usage. These can be assessed with the help of the architect or hospital consultant. The permission is to be obtained from the local electric supply board.

The water requirement for a hospital can vary vastly from project to project, depending on whether it is a primary, secondary, tertiary or special care hospital. However, for a ballpark figure, your hospital will require approximately 100 liters of water per bed per day. This includes everything from a patient’s water requirements to hospital maintenance. Permission has to be obtained from the local authorities.

Sewerage and sanitation

For the installation of tanks, pipelines and the likes, you need to obtain permission from the local authorities.

Bio-medical waste

Large hospitals need to have incinerators installed for disposing bio-medical waste, such as body parts or tissues. As incinerators usually take up between 500 to 1,000 square feet of space, smaller hospitals cannot afford to have them installed. Therefore, they need to register themselves with municipal corporations for waste disposal.

Fire department approval

This is necessary for large hospitals.

Health certification

In most cities, the local authority will certify a healthcare facility only after all beds and equipment has been installed. This involves a nominal fee.

Obtaining finance for setting up a hospital or healthcare center is not difficult, as success rates in this industry is usually quite high. Banks are relatively easy targets for this sector.

In the process of setting up a hospital, you will need to enlist the services of these professionals:
    • Architects
    • Hospital design consultants
    • Structural engineers
    • Electricity consultants
    • Water and sanitation consultants
    • Fire prevention consultants

Choosing medical equipment vendors:
    • Equipment planning, department-wise
    • Budgeting
    • Vendor identification
    • Vendor selection
    • Purchase
    • Installation
    • Signing annual maintenance contracts

Human resource functions:
    • Making a requirement matrix, department-wise
    • Making HR available
    • Interview and selection
    • Assessing financial implication

Types of doctors or consultants:
    • Resident medical officers
    • Full-time consultants
    • Part-time consultants
    • Visiting consultants
    • Nursing staff

Automation and engineering services:
    • Air-conditioner
    • Air handling unit
    • Plumbing
    • Electricity maintenance
    • Medical gas pipelines
    • Civil works

• Hardware
    • Software (Hospital Management Information System)

Systems and protocols:
    • Nursing protocol
    • Admissions protocol`
    • Infection control protocol, etc.

You would also need to plan for:
    • Stores and pharmacy
    • Hi-tech equipment selection, installation and training
    • Setting up super-speciality departments

3. venumssi

uix_expand uix_collapse

Sep 24, 2012
    BHMS stands for Bachelors Degree in Homeopathy Medicine and Surgery. I highly recommend don't start without strong experience in fertility treatment and high plan. If you start, start as a homeopathy hospital include fertility treatment. Magician 661 explain brief process. It's correct.