Honesty Vs Transparency.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by JPM, Jul 2, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being in management, I find it very important that our management team communicate with each other effectively and honestly, but I would rather a colleague admitting their mistakes before being asked, so proactively communicating issues and attempting to resolve and prevent future problems. It is what I call transparency, they are not just being honest; they are actively seeking the opportunities to be open and honest.

What do you think? Is this you? Do you think this is a good way to work?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Most people easily accept that honesty is important and the majority of people are honest. Transparency is more difficult and we don't have any natural inclination to be transparent regarding our own failings. The older I've gotten and the more experience I have gained of life and business the more transparent I have become.

Being transparent makes life a lot easier and more comfortable, it might not seem like it at the time but it is much easier to get the issue out in the open than to try and hide it. You will be found out eventually so it is much better if the issue comes from yourself. I think it was Freud who said "secrets make you sick" and it is very true in my opinion. Carrying secrets can be a major burden and life is a lot easier when you are transparent.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NikiRebin

NikiRebin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So very true.

Though it can be difficult, it's ultimately the best thing for you to be totally honest and upfront, even when it comes to your own mistakes or shortcomings. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it just makes your life less complicated. I can't imagine carrying around a bunch of secrets and lies, getting them all mixed up, trying to cover up confusion after confusion, and eventually looking like a complete zero. It applies to everyone from the brand new hiree right up through the management chain to the CEO. Liars are liars, no matter how high their salary is, and (especially) upper management should be held to the same account as lower-level workers. If only this were the case with more major corporations!

Niki

• Like Like x 2
  4. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would agree that most realise it is more important the older they become, I do notice however that those who have valued transparency at a young age tend to progress further in their chosen career.