Homepage and SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by James12smith, Jan 24, 2014.

1. James12smith

James12smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got 2 questions regarding the homepage of a static site.

My homepage is used like a directory for the site. Will periodically adding paragraphs and adding/removing links affect SEO ranking? I wont change title tags but only content and h3 tags as I build up my site more.

Does homepage word count matter for SEO? My homepage has about 320 words.

Thanks

http://www.homewareltd.com/

2. Sean_DeSilva

Sean_DeSilva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google ranks individual webpages. This is important because when we talk about ranking, we need to talk about ranking a certain webpage. So think about the main articles, product pages, category pages that are important to you, and focus your SEO efforts on those. The homepage is actually not that important, unless your website is set up for the homepage to be one of the primary landing pages on the site.

3. CPD Lighting

CPD Lighting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With my opinion , there is no problem to word count, important is quality of the content, that is the content is relevant to your website. Another important thing is don't stuff keywords in content, which will affect your seo badly.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

There has to be enough content for Googlebot to be able to tell what the webpage is about, in order to place it under the proper keywords. One thing you do not want to do is add content for the search engines. Any content added has to be relevant to the visitor. It also must sound natural when read by the visitor. CPD Lighting is also correct about avoiding stuffing keyword into the content.