Hiring vs. Doing it all Yourself

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jnjsarauer, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jnjsarauer

jnjsarauer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I run a one-woman writing business, but there are times I burn the candle at both ends because I'm nervous about bringing in anyone else to help me. It just seems easier to me to keep doing things myself if I can. Are you still running your business solo, and if not, did you bring in employees at start-up or has it been a gradual process?

2. AWorker

AWorker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always prefer hiring other people to do the boring and grunt work for me,especially when i start-up a new bussines and need it promoted.I usually take a look at my earnings and judge if its better to pay someone or to do it by myself.Even if sometimes you might meet difficult persons to work with,in the end you still have profits hiring someone when the job is related to grunt work.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hiring your first time employee is a huge stepping stone in the development of any business. Having to pay out a wage every week or month is a huge financial commitment that needs to be carefully planned for.

It also brings on human responsibilities arising from the fact that you have to work closely with someone, you will be their boss and you will have to ensure that they have enough work to remain productive and make a profitable contribution to your business. On top of all that you take on a large responsibility for the career development of another person and you may have the misfortune to have to terminate the employment at some time in the future.

Have you considered the possibility of hiring someone on a freelance or a contract basis? The Internet provides access to a huge pool of freelancers in almost every imaginable field. Your obligations and commitments to a freelance employee may be somewhat less than they would be to a full time permanent employee.

4. carefree

carefree
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think there are two perspectives ...one what kind of satisfaction do you get from the wrok done. would you have done it better yourself??? if yes than sometimes you get annoyed by the standard of the work.
    two.... ok fine let the other person do the job and if you dont like it ... you can be mad at him i.e if he is paid ...( you dont have the privilage of scolding on freelancers )

what is ur opinion guys .. ???

5. yen

yen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends what you are hiring the person to help you with. For instance if you run a restaurant business and you are hiring a cook, just make sure that the person does not turn the table against you. If you are hiring people to work for you, go only for positions which is less important and yourself should focus on other things far more important like finance and planning.

6. kewlchat

kewlchat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Doing it all yourslf is good if you can actually do it all yourself..
    for large bussiness this might not be possiable.
    But fora smale new bussiness if you do it all yourself id suggest doing it as much as you can anyway :)

7. xtremeliquid

xtremeliquid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many times that I think hiring people would be great. Other times, I love working alone and it makes me feel confident in myself that I could do such a task alone. Nonetheless, if you feel that a staff is necessary, then you should probably go get one if you feel that the work is too excessive.

8. jeni_fini

jeni_fini
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. It is a good idea to hire someone to help you, maybe with the small odds and end stuff. That way you can concentrate on what is your main priority. It is hard, hiring your first employee, mainly because you have to be able to trust that person. If you knew someone personally that would be interested, a person you know you can trust, I believe this would be the best. Sometimes this just doesn't always work out that way and you have to depend on someone new.

What you have to do is really think about if you can do this alone, and if not, try to find someone, after doing your research on that person.

9. melbel

melbel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends. If you can make more money doing work with something else, then it would be more profitable to hire someone to do some of the grunt work.

10. exinRex

exinRex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah it really depends...if you can still handle your grunt work all by yourself then go ahead...but if not?..you probably hire somebody else to help you, but be sure that "somebody" really work hard to help you...:)

11. Royer

Royer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That fact depends on a lot of things. If you still are able to do everything yourself, why to hire somebody cause that would just be a lost for you. But if you don't have time and have too much work than hiring a new employees is a good step cause it will only lead you to success.
    I still don't have any employees cause I don't have a big business and I can do everything by myself.

12. sridatta

sridatta
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Monetary Evaluation of Time is important rather than thinking whether one can do the work himself or hire someone to do... In other words, he should evaluate the value of his time in terms of money.. If it is greater than the salary that he is paying to a hire, then its good.. Otherwise, he is losing.. Work Load, Commitment, Finance, Profit.. everything matters..

13. spirited

spirited
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I like to do everything myself since I can't trust anyone else to do it the way I want it. This applies especially when I'm working on a project and I'd prefer doing everything from the bottom to the top just on my efforts, but this is a huge problem when it consumes too much of my time and it takes weeks, and perhaps even months, to finish it but I enjoy it so much more. The bottom line, it depends on your preference, whether you can be stubborn (such as me) or have no problem distributing your work.

14. rickyou

rickyou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I particularly think that everything should be done on my own until I know everything, then I will outsource my job.

15. zerzis

zerzis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its immpossible to know each and everything and you will get bored by doing so many things together..which may also affect the job done. Try to spend some bucks for quality work.

16. Junroe Inc.

Junroe Inc.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like the traditional motto says... "No man can be an island". You should look out for qualified persons who can help you out in your goals, so your business can be much better.

17. paul

paul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually It depends, for me if the work load is quite heavy, then i delegate. Otherwise i prefer to work alone. Just analyze the pros and cons and go ahead.

18. breeanne

breeanne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand your hesitation in bringing in someone to help with your business. We owned our own small business and it was doing great it got bigger so we decided we needed to employ people as we just could not keep up. I'm afraid this was a mistake. Most of the people we put on didnt care about keeping a good business name as the business was not their's, they treated us as if they where the boss and thought they could do anything they wanted. In the end we just put everyone off and closed the business and went back to working for someone it was just a nightmare. But on the other hand this dose not happen all the time and I know that now we just had a bad lot working for us. :rolleyes:

19. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

zerzis hit a nail on the head. You can not know everything about any business, it can not happen.

As far as hiring people to work for you. Do it on a piece basis, and, if either of you lives in the US and you want to properly file taxes, use a Form 1099. Avoid any actual employees if at all possible.

Before hiring anyone for any meaningful work you have to have a good grasp on leadership, if you don't have that keep your business small. Part of this thing called leadership is to know when to let an employee go before your business is ruined.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

breeanne raises some very good points for consideration. The costs of hiring and employing staff can be extremely high. Much higher than their actual wages when you pay taxes, insurance / pension contributions and cover overhead costs required to keep the staff in place. Actually managing the staff also takes a lot of time and has its own costs. We need to be mindful of all these costs before hiring anyone and we should ensure that we have the cash flow resource needed to cover them.

pendelton's point is related and important. If you don't provide the correct leadership and management for your staff they will cost you a lot more than the return you get from them and this won't help anyone in the long run.

Many staff do not have an appreciation of how difficult it is to run a business and keep it afloat. They often operate under the misconception that all business owners are very rich. It can be useful to educate staff in these areas so that they feel a sense of ownership. Sometimes giving them their own little "business" to run and make profitable, within the organisation, can be extremely beneficial.

Your business does not have to be large for this concept to work successfully. What I'm referring to is giving staff members control of their own section of work and asking them to have an understanding of how their section contributes overall to the costs or profit of the total business.