Hiring Staff?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by hcted, Dec 12, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok as you all may or may not be aware of, I run the Social Networking site Tweet Zone. Now the site only has 35-40 members and 31 active members. So it isn't a huge thing to put up with. However, I manage the Twitter account and keeping it updated daily, keeping the sites software updated daily, adding new privacy features, adding new misc features, fixing things on the site and spammers. That is just some of what I do on the site, and to be honest - it takes a REALLY long time to do all of that. I only expect perfection when I do something on Tweet Zone so I run things through several tests is well.

So my question is, should I hire a Administrator to the site. The site doesn't receive much daily activity, mostly me messaging members and moving things along so the odds of getting someone who will be willing to work like I do on the site seem very slim. So would it be a good move to bring on a staff member?

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

depends to you.
    if you think you can't handle because there are other things you are busy of.
    else you probably just want a virtual assistant.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on yourself, if you can handle it yourself then it is ok. If not you can hire one like you said. But the person you hire must have the knowledge or skills to help you out, like what you state the administrator need to do.

4. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd say no, but it depends on how you make money. As a general rule it's not a good idea to spend more on a site than it brings in for you. With only 31 active users, I doubt you're making much money. I would say something for a set amount of time a day that will build on itself, like SEO or blogging. Unfortunately not tweeting, as archived tweets don't really help you after a few days. But I'd say take 2 hours a day, write a blog post, build 10-15 decent links for keywords that have volume and apply to what you offer, then take the rest of your day and make money elsewhere. Once you start getting a serious amount of traffic from your efforts, it makes a lot more sense to manage the site more closely. Also not to be critical, but since you mentioned how you like everything to be perfect... I noticed one typo in the upper right - "folowing."

5. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for bringing that up! Just noticed it.
    So would I just start a blog?

6. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have the funds - a virtual assistant is a great idea. I'd check out www.elance.com. You might look for a newer VA who is just building their business. They would probably be grateful for a small retainer to do the work now and as business gets busier you could raise that. Make sure to be good to them and leave them good feedback on elance to help their business move forward. Getting someone loyal at the start of your business will be a real benefit later. Not only will you know them well and understand where their strengths are and how to utilize them best, but they will know your business well and will likely find ways to make themselves indispensable.

7. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its totally upon you,If you think you are not able to handle,you are not getting the time then its better to hire the administration.But when you are hiring any administration keep in mind he should be good and hard working.

8. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest to hire a virtual assistant or a general staff to handle this kind of job. I recommend going to firms with a proven track record of dependability and proficiency in offering business consultancy and leased office staffing & management services.

9. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hiring assistant is the best and cheapest way with regards to that, you wont pay the regular amount because you will only pay them in hourly basis.

10. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are hiring anyone then hire a Marketing Guru. There is no point on hiring an Administrator if there are hardly any members on your Social Network.
    Get the word out there as best as you can, if nobody hears about it then it never existed.

Good luck to you on your venture.

11. abi5684

abi5684
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should make some partnership deal with some company who is well versed in Online marketing which will give you more visitor for your website and the same company will take care of your techincal stuff like maintaining your website and improving your website too. And the best option for this is to go with outsourcing kind. Any more info you need means please let me know. Thanks..

12. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you need to prepare someone for that purpose because I don't think that if you hire someone he already understand the work you want him to do and he may do some negligency during the work

13. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i dont think so. the workload seems manageable on your own for now. maybe you can use the money to hire more creative personnels or tech staff