Hiring someone to build one link per week - would that be a good SEO tactic?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fergal, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Someone I know is considering paying someone to build one quality link per week to their website. Would you consider this to be a good SEO tactic?

Thanks!

2. UTMediaGroup

UTMediaGroup
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends what this quality links is... If it's a blog comment on one high PR website, it won't be too effective, in my opinion. If it's a link on high authority website, then it may be worth trying. Also it depends what keywords they are trying to target. Since it's all about link diversity and important not to target only one keyword in an anchor tag, it may still last long to achieve high rankings with one link a week.

But in the end, if they don't try, they'll never know, right? :)

3. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It also about quality link. If you are a getting one link per week from any low quality and low PR site than it's useless. I think competence in making backlinks is much high. It also depends upon the keywords which you had targeted.

4. ssstylish

ssstylish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think paying for one quality backlink per week is worthy if the anchor appears in the main body of a high authority site.

5. Marius081

Marius081
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Fergal,

As far as I know during months of research for the best SEO tactics after Google Penguin, I would suggest to add more often links in a natural way!
    Anchor text may hurt that website if used the same for all sites.

Constant backlinking, regardless the number of links, is very positive for website SERP.

6. kennyschwimmer

kennyschwimmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would recommend not to concentrate on getting unnatural backlinks rather, I would suggest you to concentrate on writing quality content with related Anchor text which will finally result in getting good backlinks.

7. amitmax

amitmax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Counting is not important but backlinks from different and relevant websites are important and another important factor is keyword diversification.Use brand name and URL also along with target keywords in your link building work.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, the plan in this instance would be to build at least one quality link per week, the person chosen would only be paid for quality links.

9. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Quality if it means that you can get a link from one of the best authority website in their niche. Plus I do suggest guest posting for that.

10. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Fergal, I think that building one high quality link a week is a great deal if the price is right. Getting quality links is very time-consuming but in the long run it is the only thing that will matter. I don't think that one link a week, even a very high quality link, will have a huge impact on search engine ranking unless the keyword competition is relatively light. Perhaps if he keeps it up for a year or two, that would be different, but if it is done for only 3 or 4 months, then a dozen links will not make that much difference even if they are quality links.

• Like Like x 1
  11. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think, if the competition at that keyword is high on which getting backlink then single link per week don't works. Then quality and and quantity also measure.

12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with both Business Attorney and printingray, although I don't think the competitive nature of the keyword makes much difference. One link per week is not going to help much, even if it is a quality link. In fact, it may actually hurt. With recent upgrades to Google's algorithm, getting one link a week may look fake, and could result in a penalty. Also, someone who is only capable of building only one link a week probably doesn't know enough to determine what is, or is not, a quality link. If you want to hire someone to do link building, you would be better off hiring someone who can determine how many links per month you would need based on the keywords being pursued, and knows where to get quality links, and how best to distribute them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why not make more links than just one?

14. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's how I build quality links with just a half hour a few times a month.

Google a competitor's url.

Follow the links and join, add a meaningful comment or submit to the links that come up.

Keep going down to like page 12 or whatever and you'll find you have built a dozen links in no time.

Next time, choose another competitor. Or use your keywords with "blog" or "blogspot" or "wordpress"

BTW, how much would you expect to pay for one link per week?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the great advice Joe. The person may be capable of building more than one link per week, but only be hired for one, as per the reasons below.

Because of concerns that building links too quickly could result in a search engine ranking penalty and in order to keep costs down.

Thanks Bwendo, I do like that idea, I've done similar work myself in the past and I should probably do more of it, so thanks for the nudge. When I did it, I also found sites that were linking to competitor sites and then emailed them and asked if they would please add a link to my site on the same page. This was actually reasonably successful with a decent proportion of those emailed, happy to link back.

I actually didn't have a price in mind for one link per week, but probably something like $10 - $20 per week.

16. Catherine

Catherine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do totally not agree with you. building links is one part of web optimization and if your links increase suddendly, search engine may regard you as cheating and take some measures to punish your site. it really need a long time to build a good website.

17. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Someone who knows link building will not create only one link per week, because they know that it won't get you the results you are looking for. On the other hand, someone whose ethics may be, to be polite, "questionable" will build only one link per month because you are willing to pay them for it, so they are more than willing to take your money.

I understand your concerns, and they are justified, up to a point. Creating links too quickly could result in a penalty, but building links too slowly will not get you the results you need. Although it's not a perfect metaphor, I am reminded of the person who drives 30 miles an hour down an interstate highway, because they don't want to cause an accident by driving too fast. By driving too slowly, they could wind up causing the accident they were trying to avoid.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Building one link per week may not bring outstanding results, but is it not better than not building any links?

19. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like Fergal said it wont make a huge difference but it's better then not building any links at all. I think you would be better off building one link per day or something along those lines.

20. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Let me use traveling as an example again. Once again, this may not be a perfect example, but imagine you and a group of friends want to go on a cross-country road trip. Each of you has your own vehicle. Your friend's vehicles have a full gas tanks, while yours has only one gallon in the tank. You friends can travel until their gas tanks get low, and then can pull into a gas station and refill the tank. They can visit all kinds of places and have lots of fun along the way. You, on the other hand, have only a gallon of gas, and each time that runs out, you only add a gallon to the tank. While your friends are enjoying themselves, you are still struggling to get where you want to be, one gallon at a time.

Do you really think that's a desirable outcome?