Hiring an agent (for a book)

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by agentmanningctu, Oct 7, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm in the process of looking for an agent to present my book (in progress) to potential publishers.

I've had a few direct agent suggestions, but those didn't pan out.

Does anyone here know of any good agents, or good agent finding services?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

agentmanningctu we have some writers here who should be able to give you useful responses to your question. Is it possible for you to give a little more info on your book, e.g. is it fact or fiction, what genre is it in, etc? What country are you based in? Are there any particular countries where you would like it published?

You might also find this previous thread helpful - Author?

3. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My book is about running a blog using Word Press. I won't really go into specifics. Fact, How-To, experience based, etc.

I live in the US, but I'd like the book to be published in the US, UK, Canada, etc. Any country that speaks English.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why dont you try on Amazon? they are one of the best agent in the world
    Or you can actually go for those affiliate program which are pay per sales

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

agentmanningctu it would be worth having a look at the WordPress for Dummies book by Lisa Sabin-Wilson. You may want to target a slightly different market than that book, or to focus on different content whilst targeting the same market.

You should also make some contact with publishers who focus on the technology field, for example Sitepoint, O'Reilly Books, Wiley, Dummies, Idiot's Guide and Teach Yourself. Ask them about the process for getting published by them and how you would submit a book for their consideration.

I recently heard the best selling author Les Hewitt speak and quoted some of his tips in another thread, I've copied them below as they might be useful to you;

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest you go look at AgentQuery. It's very well respected and has a searchable database. Plus it's free.

Please be very wary of scammers elsewhere. The writing industry is rife with them waiting to rip off the keen author. Basically if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Check out any agent or publisher you're thinking of using with the Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks at AbsoluteWrite. If you don't see the agent or publisher mentioned you're thinking of going with, then create a thread and ask about them. The writers there are very protective of other writers and will help you check the agent/publisher out. I strongly recommend you don't sign up for anything until you do.

There's also a very handy Ask The Agent section there which includes information sources.

Re Amazon, sigma may be referring to their self-publishing option called CreateSpace. You might want to check that out. Honestly I know very little about the setup so can't guide you on that.

#6 Kay, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  7. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Kay. I really appreciate that. I'm going to be doing a bit more research. I really like CreateSpace, as I can be ready to make a Kindle ready version of the book as well. I think it is better overall than Lulu, as a self publishing site.

8. TheEntreprenette

TheEntreprenette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello

You might want to spend some time looking around Brendon Burchard's website. I attended on of his seminars in May this year and he had a fantastic guy who spoke about finding a book agent.

Sorry I do not have the Book Agent Advisor's name as I've left it in the UK while I'm travelling the world.

Good luck with your search.

Regards

Jo