Hiring a Sales Executive and a Business Development Manager.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by surge, Nov 23, 2012.

1. surge

surge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello All, So i left my day job because i had an urgent project proposals from one of my contacts and so simultaneously i am working on my own start up too. Basically to start with and to raise some capital funds i will be managing and optimizing online advertising campaigns for top brands on social networks, search engines and a network of websites relevant to the brands through the use of several available advertising platforms. And there is more to what services we will be providing but at this stage i was thinking of hiring a sales executive and a business development manager to support in getting client on board. I talked to this sales outsourcing company who said that they will be making cold calls to potential clients provided i give them the list to make calls. I also talked to some experienced managers if they would like to support me in business development role and they said that its a time consuming process to build a relationship and i guess thats correct. I was also advised to get the contacts of marketing heads from linkedin, message these marketing heads from linkedin and explain them the strategy and check if they would like to work with us or not. So what is your suggestions to get started? Does anybody have an experience in this? Are there any other successful start ups here?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Congratulations on your start surge and best of luck with your new business.

Will be hiring two different people or a single person to cover both roles?

Would it be possible for you to hire someone on a commission only basis? That way you would only have to pay them for the results they achieve and it will help you to minimise your start-up costs.

3. surge

surge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There will be 2 guys, one for sales and one as a business development manager. Most people are hesitating to work on a commission basis so i guess i will have to pay them a fixed price per month which i feel is more feasible if they work full time on marketing one of our products in the city. Unfortunately i am not getting any guys to work or i may be searching at a wrong place, i did not sign up for any job sites as an employer because they are expensive but i guess i will have to if i don't find anybody to help in sales, or i will have to check with working relatives and friends if they know anybody who can work for me. That should work.