Hire interns for start up company- DISCUSSION about LEGAL and ILLEGAL matter

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by Hazel, May 12, 2013.

1. Hazel

Hazel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am hiring interns for my start up. I want discuss about the Things i should not do. I want use interns so i can save some money on hiring permanent employee since i am in start up its costly for me now. I want make the intern do some marketing task for my company and i don't want violate any law.

My scenario:
    i have the marketing plan, since i have knowledge in internet marketing i wrote the plan myself. I need people to execute it, so for start up i am going to hire interns.

I can supervise them and teach them new things
    I can give them good working experience[i have alot of knowledge in this]
    I can give them variety of task related to their field of studies.
    I am paying them 450 only.

Using them to execute the marketing plan is legally possible??

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is absolutely fine to use interns for your company and since you are guiding them then they should do the tasks rigthly for you.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hazel, in which State or country would the business be based?

Would the interns you hire be based in your office or working from home?

4. Hazel

Hazel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there is total of 3 business. 1 is by me and another business is by another friend, then the 3rd business is by another friend.
    we are from 3 different location and we are starting in our own nation:
    1-New York
    2-Singapore
    3-Malaysia

3 of us already finish write our marketing plan, we want people to execute it, so for start up 3 of us going to hire interns. I want use interns rather then hiring employee because i can save some money. we have good knowledge in online marketing because we studying that for years but no formal degree in marketing. [I want make the intern execute my marketing plan for my company and i don't want violate any law]
    Let me tell u about what we 3 of us can do for our intern:
    1-we can supervise them and can give variety of tasks related to marketing which is their field of study.
    2-we can give them good working experience[i have alot of knowledge in working in team, how to communicate and how to learn in team etc]
    3-we are paying them 450 only.

Using interns to execute the marketing plan is legally possible?? how to make it legally acceptable?

5. swg

swg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The law depends on the country.

If MUST pay at least the minimum wage (which may be lower for interns than for a full time position, and may vary on their age too)

If you don't pay the minimum wage then the position is essentially voluntarily. This is fine legally (usually, again, depends on the country) but it means that the 'workers' have no obligations - they can come and go as they please, don't have to listen to orders, there's no contract, etc.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As swg says the law will vary on a country by country basis. If you are sourcing the interns through a local college or university, they should be able to advise you as to the laws that apply. Alternatively you should be able to contact the government department of employment, for the relevant country and ask them about the laws that will apply to your own specific situation.