Hire a programmer and not have the idea stolen

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by start34, Jul 27, 2016.

1. start34

start34
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm into internet marketing, have been working with social networks, and I have come up with a great way to earn some serious money, but it requires a lot of manual work.

I'm looking for a programmer who would make a script or a bot which would automate the process, save me time and effort and make me earn even more.

I wouldn't mind having the programmer himself use the bot to make himself rich, too, but I'm worried about being scammed since it's an area where there's still not much competition. I wouldn't want to share the idea with someone, explaining what needs to be done, and that being told that "it can't be made" or something like that if the person realizes that he can just do it by himself and get rid of me.

I don't have a huge budget, and certainly not for the type of job I would hire him to do, so I would just share with him the idea and in return I would just expect him to share with me the tool he makes... I wouldn't expect him to be selling it because you could earn with it much more than you could earn by just selling it (and you would stop earning that much after a while anyway if too many people had it).

So, how do I insure myself that I don't get played, could I hire a third party perhaps to install some passwords or something? Any ideas please? :)

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Take a look at those two statements. First, you say, "I wouldn't mind having the programmer himself use the bot to make himself rich, too, but I'm worried about being scammed", then you say "I don't have a huge budget, and certainly not for the type of job I would hire him to do". Basically, you want to hire someone without paying them, and then you expect them to give you the program for free, because you will allow them to use the program they created to make themselves rich. Who's "scamming" who? They created the program, so they don't need your permission to use it. You're hiring them, but not paying them. So, why would they then give you the program they created? There's no incentive to do so. In effect, it is you who would be "stealing" the program from them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Garry

Michael Garry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get a third party which can offer you some serious security like password protection, installing a firewall or something. This way your idea won't get stolen and would end up in easing the process.

4. Rockpapercopy

Rockpapercopy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually hiring someone to do the job for you doesn't automatically give them the rights to use the project to their own benefit. You need to write up a contract, either you pay one-off fee and retain all the copyrights [have it on paper and signed by two parties] or you agree on a percentage of future benefits. If you expect to earn millions then I would go with option 1. Don't leave anything to chance - remember Eduardo Saverin [Facebook Inc]?

5. start34

start34
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to make a deal with someone, I give him the idea, and he gives me the program. We share the idea and the program and we both earn.
    Without the idea (and not just the idea, but also the specific details about the ways to make money) we don't earn a thing. Do you think that ideas are free? And that knowledge is free? In what world is that?

Furthermore, the only real scam is if you break the agreement you have with someone. If someone agrees to my proposition that we share the program, and then, when I give him the idea (and knowledge) which enables him to make money, he gets rid of me, than he's clearly a scammer.

Do you think that programmers and engineers who work for a company for a salary have the right to sell the product they have created themselves? Of course not, it's their company's property, not theirs.
    I'm not offering a single payment, I'm offering a lot more than that. If I had the money to pay in advance, I guess I could make that offer, too, which would not be as nearly good offer as this one (disregarding the fact that I probably wouldn't have the means to stop them from using it, anyway).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Yes, actually, ideas are free, and knowledge can be as well, depending on the method used to obtain it.Without a way to use them, ideas are abstract concepts that are worth nothing, it is when those ideas are converted to action that they now have value. Even then, it is the result of that action that has value, not the idea itself.

People who work for a company for a salary are compensated for their efforts. It is up to the company itself to determine what form that compensation will take.

Actually, no you're not. You are not offering any kind of compensation for the work you are asking them to perform. Any compensation they receive will be from there own efforts using the program they created. Rockpapercopy has a god idea. Write up a contract so both parties know what is expected of them, what compensation they will receive, and where that compensation will come from. Without a contract, if they use the program and do not make money(yes, that can happen) they can then sue you to recover what they believe they should have received. With the contract, you are protected.

7. start34

start34
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Raw material which is used in production is worth nothing then?

Okay, let's put it this way, I'm offering them a joint venture.

How can they sue me if there's no contract, I see no grounds for a lawsuit.

Yeah it would be a good idea if what I plan to perform was 100% legal. :)

8. Rockpapercopy

Rockpapercopy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope you are joking? Without a contract ANY reason is good enough for a lawsuit, even if they made it up. Do not attempt to go into any kind of partnership without a contract.

9. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Programmers and developers get offers like this all the time. If you want someone to develop a product for you then you need to pay. If you don't have the funds to pay then the idea won't get developed.

It might be the best idea ever but without money to develop and market it's going nowhere. Sorry to be so harsh but that's the reality of the situation.

10. start34

start34
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No need to be sorry, thank you for the information and for a straightforward reply!

11. start34

start34
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do understand that there can be a grounds for a lawsuit based on conducting an unregistered business, but how can they sue me if they can not back up whatever real or imaginary reason they may have for a lawsuit. It would be something else if they had written trace (an email) of our agreement which I have violated, and it would be perfectly correct to sue me on that grounds, but based on a sole fact that we have had a deal without signing a contract?? Could I sue them as well then, for any imaginary reason, since they are also the ones who have conducted business with me without signing a contract? :D

12. Rockpapercopy

Rockpapercopy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

of course you can sue them, if you really want. If you hire a programmer to create a product for you and you do not pay them at all, and have no contract, guess what? They can take a product, use it and then expect a compensation if they made a loss. I can come up with some few more ideas if I had more time. I've been in business long enough to know it's better to be prepared than be naive enough to count that programmer will do the job for you for free and will not have imagination big enough to expect compensation. Either way, best of luck - we are trying to help you, not have an argument.

13. start34

start34
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are having a discussion and are exchanging opinions and not having an argument, at least that's how I see it.

I don't really care what he expects unless there's a court which will take his claims backed by absolutely nothing into consideration.

If asked, I can also state what it really was, a joint venture, and have our correspondence saved.

In any case, thanks for your advice and for your willingness to help.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

There are two ways to establish a joint venture. Form a corporation as a separate entity, so you would both remain separate, but would each have ownership in the new corporation. Or, establish a contractual relationship - write up a contract so each of you knows what your responsibilities are. And yes, it would have to be 100% legal.
    You can find more information about forming a joint venture here.