Hi

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by sunshine8, Jun 11, 2011.

1. sunshine8

sunshine8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello i'm new on the forum and wish you all well in your chosen fields!

I an hoping someone may be able to advise me..I have a coffee shop which I started up in May 2008 which has since gained a good reputation, the local college have approached me to ask if I would be interested in opening a coffee shop for them within one of their rooms/library and say they would rather go to an independent business rather than approach the big chains, however I have no idea what the legalities, pros and cons, and what normally happens with the set up of this? Any information would be much appreciated

2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Hi sunshine8 and I'd like to welcome you to Business Advice Forum. You might consider making a proper introduction for yourself to let us know more about yourself and your business in our New Member Introductions forum. :)

With regards to your question, namely the pros are you will be working in an established premises which will (most likely) hold most of the licenses you will need. A con would be that they will probably want to charge a % of your earnings for using their premises, however if you're good at negotiating you may be able to make it very worthwhile for yourself.

Another member will help you with some more pros and cons and the legality of this ASAP as legality isn't my specialty, so sorry about that. :)

3. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's great news, a friend of mine has a similar set up within a music venue. I think it's a bit tricky with decision making as the rest of the building has to be considered but on the plus side he is guaranteed a certain amount of business. I think it's generally working well. I'm afraid I can't help with legality of it either, but i think it's worth you looking into it. Hold a meeting with them and discuss your concerns. Good luck with the project.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum sunshine8.

That sounds like an excellent opportunity, college students tend to drink lots of coffee! Depending on the size of the college, they may very well have come to a similar arrangement with a different business or businesses in the past. If they have, they most probably have some contractual documents in place that would provide for a lot of the legalities involved. You should ask them about these things and then go through the document yourself. It would be a big decision and you really would require professional legal advice on the contract, should you decide to go ahead with it.

Insurance would be a big area of concern for you, and you would need to check as to what risks are covered by the college insurance and what risks you would need to insure the business for.

What state or country are you and the college based in (obviously different laws will apply to different legal jurisdictions)?