Hi going to start a new website. Need Gudance.

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by livayahurd, Nov 30, 2009.

1. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Hi thanks to all again, with your help I got some money to buy a paid domain name and hosting.

Now I have heard that people saying "Content is The King", even I a sure. So i decided to make my site rich with genuine content (no boring) which i thought should be valuable information.

My free site was just a regularly updated blog on free stuffs and trial offers available online. There is no content in it, its just like some listing of ads. But since I was getting only interested people (targeted) i didn't get much issue in generating this much revenue.

I am not interested to enter the highly competitive niche of internet marketing. I am good at electronics (not too good). But I am to confused to begin.

Should I start a blog or a review site or something else. What type of content. Should it be a "how to do ***" website or my projects details loaded in it or something else. What kind of ads should i add to it.

I am ready to change to some other niche.

Please advice.

Thanks In advance

2. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi livayahurd,

I would suggest to start a Tech blog for getting more income. The first thing I think you should start a tech blog is because Technology blogs are in high demands. You can see some of examples of it - http://mashable.com and also http://techcrunch.com they update there blog when they get any online news. They both are some of the top online blogs.

You can have advertise page and ask users to give ads on it. In the starting you can use your affiliate ads on it.

Thanks And Hope this helps.

3. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok thats something good. Let me try myself to.
    I checked there site. Its like a technology product and company status review.

Some more suggestions please.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you really like giving out trial versions of some premium softwares, you might want to give a review on each product and give its PROS and CONS to readers so that they can choose a suitable software for their needs.

5. wussa

wussa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds like a pretty good advice as people love to read a blogger's aspect point of view. What is your site by the way? Comparing items will need you to dedicate your time and writing very interesting articles can gain you a follower in some respect.
    At your siggy is based on a free domain hope your not mentioning that one.
    I have never yet seen a successful site using the free domain so you might want to take a look at some cheaper paid domain options.
    Cheerio

6. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wussa, I didn't say that I own a paid domain. I got some money to buy a paid hosting and domain. But now I am running on a free domain and free hosting. Just listing some offers and freebies. I am getting traffic from social networks and bookmarking sites and some forum which deals with freebies.

Not so so successful. But got some money. I am getting some targeted traffic. Who are really after these offers. I got majority of people going after the offer from Garnier. Very few goes behind those luckydarws.

Now I am looking to expand more. Both the existing one and another one.

Expecting guidance and support from everyone. I am not sure how can I repay it. But I am willing to do something honestly.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good start. Have you tried looking for similar sites and apply for a link exchange?
    There's also a BAF member here who also have a same site as yours.

If I'm not mistaken, his site is called www.FrebiesPark.info

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

livayahurd as you say "content is king", you will have more fun writing that content and be more motivated to keep working on your site if the subject matter of the site is of interest to you. What topics interest you or what are you passionate about? Have you considered starting a blog on one of those subjects?

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Go ahead on the electronics review or latest information. As long as you can provide great information, you can use either adsense or/and clickbank which is good for the electronics niche

10. manu.kumaar26

manu.kumaar26
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes u can have review of different websites, what they are offering.

Until u won't get objected with them..... :)

11. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Electronics is my stream and I love it. I have so many projects with me and a good number of them are unique. I decided to go forward with it. As Sahil told writing technology review is a good idea, but its going to take a big deal of time. Correct me if I am wrong. I thought of this path - One niche -> expand -> related niche -> diversify ->expand.

Now I am looking on which stream of technology or electronics should I focus

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Glad to hear that you have decided on a subject area that you enjoy. Your "One niche -> expand -> related niche -> diversify ->expand" idea sounds like a good approach. However, I'd suggest that you not be in too big of a hurry to expand. First give your specific niche your best shot, before you expand into a related niche.

If your site is working well in your specific niche you can then consider the option of expanding. If for some reason your site is not working within it's specific niche you can the review it to decide if it needs more work or if you need to expand it and include a related niche. Overall I'd suggest that you should start off quite specific and give that niche your best to see how far you can take it.

There are some excellent blogging resources in the blogging section of our our Useful Online Business Resources that you might find helpful.

You should also find the threads below to be of some help;

How do you get traffic to your forum/blog?
    Blogging to the Bank
    Marketing your Blog
    Tutorials on How to increase your blog Traffic

13. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Electronics is what triggers me, my field of interest. Yes I almost decided to start blog on electronics. But please tell me whether its good to start blog on "how to make things". Because I have done my self more than 100 projects both simple and complicated. Most of them, its really fun building them.

I am also considering as you people said - to start a review blog on technological advancement and products reviews. To be honest I have subscribed to several technology newsletter. I got nearly 45 - 100 updates a day. :D.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

livayahurd, you could try playing around with Google's Keyword Tool to help you find search terms that your target customers are actually searching for. Then use those search terms as the basis for posts on your blog. You could also use that tool to see if many people are interested in the various subject matters that interest you.

The idea of an electronics blog on how to make things is interesting. From my own observations more and more people are becoming interested in electronics projects like that and would probably be happy to visit a blog that contained details of various projects and all the info you needed to complete the project.

15. balegere

balegere
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since you have made about 100 projects,its a good idea to start a blog on how to make things.
    Start with simple things and then move on to complex ones.Make sure you include images and videos in each of your how tos.
    I am myself an electronics student and I will find it very useful if somebody like you starts a blog on building electronic projects.

16. rohit09

rohit09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every day millions invest on advertising I suggest you to make a activating blog...! Like traffic for free and all that!

17. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your advice.

Ok I understand that. "Free" is really provocative word. But when I search those terms in any search engine I will get millions f sites on top. I believe that in any field, If we do some research honestly we can become experts. Promoting the blog or a site has always been an issue. Systems providing free traffic are already there and they have enough affiliates who have familiarized their links and search term "free traffic" to those people hunting fro free traffic. I have seen blogs just dedicated to free traffic. 10 - 20 pages.

As I quoted before in this forum, that I am not strong with my English grammar , or even if my grammar is right my articled don't have a flow. I am trying a lot to correct it. So article marketing is on halt.

Now most of the forum moderators are aware of the type of spams. So signature linking is too hard. Because I have yet to find more forums on freebies and offers so that I can include my signature in it. :D r I can tell people about it.

That is why I finally decided to focus on electronics. I like it even if there a great deal of difficulty in promoting, because its electronics. Moreover I don't need to write pages of articles on it. I upload my project file, details its working and parts list, with some calculations for any modifications and then those circuit diagram and PCB layout.

The reason is simple. People here told me and I recognize it my self, "DO WHAT YOU LIKE". I am mad about electronics.

I can make some good money with It. I can upload those files in some "paid to upload ", place ads on electronic goods and free or trial offers on electronics, and affiliate with PPC networks.

To be honest I hate when it comes to promotion. But No other option , now I am searching among my friends who share my interests.

Thanks everybody

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update livayahurd, I look forward to seeing your blog when you get it up and running.

You are more than welcome to include your signature here on BAF :)

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been a link promoter on forums for several months now and honestly, I'm pissed that I got banned on some forums after posting lots of posts. I can suggest you to read their rules first and try your signature with your link for a couple of posts a day. If those posts are still available in the next day, it's ok to post that.

There are lots of forums out there that you can promote it. Most of them are webmaster forums, like Sitepoint, WebTalkForums and many more. There are also entertainment forums that you can post them on your sig.

20. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3 days before I posted in a forum of freebies, a link to another freebie site , I am not affiliated with. I didn't include my site link in signature till 5 posts. But on my 6th post I included it. Everything was according to rules. After few hours I got a message "your post is disapproved , Reason : SPAM". When I asked them why? They said "Your site is promoting affiliate links". :crazy:

Well that's not an issue. This might of help
    www.dofollowforums.com

You know as time passes my thoughts on that site are getting more and more concentrated. Now I see only opportunities and more ideas are flowing.

Here I have 2 ideas which I would like to share.
    1. Start a project site for students of different discipline where students themselves submit their projects for sharing and get some reward in return. (I already have a good source for this - Plenty of students worldwide):cool:
    2. An article site

Both of them are content rich and are user generated. music more easy to advertise. User will also advertise for themselves.

What do you think.