Hi from Kuala Lumpur

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WebMedic, Sep 12, 2016.

1. WebMedic

WebMedic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,

This is Faisal from Malaysia representing WebMedic.

We help business owners focus on growing their business by taking care of their website.

Looking forward to learn and share more with the community.

Thank you

#1 WebMedic, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Welcome, Faisal. I edited your post to remove the portion where you told members to call you if they need help.. Be careful when writing a normal post not to advertise or solicit clients for your business. I look forward to seeing your contributions.

3. WebMedic

WebMedic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Joseph

I made a post offering free service, is that also not allowed here?

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Any type of advertising or soliciting of other members, regardless of the price of the product or service being offered, even if there is no price, is prohibited.

5. WebMedic

WebMedic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

No, it is not, for two reasons. Go back and read my previous post - the price doesn't matter, even if there is no price. If anyone accepts your offer, you have now gained a client for your business, so you are soliciting to gain clients, which is not allowed. Second, rule #7 in the Forum rules says, in part, "When a member asks a question, please don't . . . post a link to a website, unless you have something else helpful to add to the discussion." That is precisely what your post does. You did nothing but post a link to a website, and then offered your services - for free this time, but you can then charge them for other services later.

7. WebMedic

WebMedic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay it's deleted now.

May I know what's the problem with that in your perspective?

I am trying to put myself in the shoes of the forum admins and then I can see that I would want the community to be strong and to help each other grow.

Someone offering a free service to our members is a good thing, more users would want to join and be part of a community that helps each other like this.

If the person offering the free service gets paid clients afterwards, what do we lose as a forum? I am not sure.

What do we gain as a forum? the users offering their free services are now willing to invest more time into our forum and possibly money. The users who are receiving the free service is happy with the forum and might be coming back more often and telling their friends.

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In the Marketplace, we have a section for our members to advertise Free Offers, should any member wish to do so.

If the offer is made in the proper section mentioned above, that's fine, that's what it's there for. As far as soliciting in regular posts is concerned, remember that the members who ask a question or have a business problem are looking for advice. They are not looking to be sold anything, or offered products or services for free. If we allowed members to solicit other members in a normal post, those who need advice would be afraid to come here because they would think that any time they ask a question, someone is going to try to sell them something, or try to sign them up as a client.

As I said above, being offered a free service in a normal post may not make our members as happy as you think. They would actually come back less often, and would tell their friends not to come here, which would reduce our potential traffic, as well as cause us to lose the members we have. On the other hand, if we became a place where those with the knowledge to help others were willing to do so freely, with no strings attached, they would be happy, and would tell their friends to come here to get any advice they need, thereby increasing our traffic.

In addition to the forum section referenced above, every member can add a signature to their profile, which is automatically added to their posts. Those who meet the requirements can have a link to their website in their signature. That way, if any member is impressed by the answer they receive, and wishes to check out the website of the member who answered their question, they can make the decision to visit the website on their own, and will not feel forced to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1