Helping a new friend or teaching new competition?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by SimpleD, Oct 5, 2013.

1. SimpleD

SimpleD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi. I'm new here. I am in a weird spot and not sure what to do. I'm hoping to get some advice.
    I'm a professional organizer. My business is going well but I still worry about getting new clients. I've only been doing this for a year and still learning.
    Recently I was at a friend's dinner party and a woman seemed very interested in my business, asking tons of questions. At first it seemed like she was just interested in learning about me and my business. But her questions got more direct, and continued throughout the night, to the point I felt awkward and I changed the subject repeatedly. At one point she offered to help me for free to see how I do things. - I found a nitch (which I now regret sharing) that no other organizers in town specialize in.
    Well, the 2nd time I met her, she asked to meet for drinks because she wants a change in her job and wants to pick my brain about my business. I asked what she wants to do and she said "what you're doing".
    On one hand I'm flattered. But I feel like she is trying to 'pick my brain' to copy my business and I don't want teach potential competition.
    We live in the same town. And due to our mutual friend, I will be in social situations with her again. I'm not sure what to tell her. I would meet her to be supportive. But I'm not willing to give a blueprint of my business.
    Does anyone have any advice? Anyone been in similar situations?

2. goldlabelcontent

goldlabelcontent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah thats an akward situation to be honest, maybe tell her straight out that its not a good idea