Help with Wordpress Page Templates?

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by Shahrier, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've tried the Wordpress support forum but they can only provide minimal support as they receive thousands of posts every day.

I want to be able to post on different pages but that can only be done on the homepage. I asked the Wordpress support guys and they said to use Page Templates and showed me the FAQ on Page Templates. I read it, but I am not very good at php or anything. I also have limited knowledge on Wordpress. Is there any code that you guys know of to put posts on a separate page? I desperately need this. Thanks.

-Shahrier

2. Erik

Erik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not exactly sure what you want to achieve....

Did I get you right, that you have one Blog, but it has two main blog-post-pages. Like "Normal News", where all the normal news is listed, and then "Special news", which shows all special news?

This is custom and you need to code it either yourself or ask someone to code it for you. I'm not aware of any existing solution.

1.) Make use of categories. Tag all your articles for the second article with a special category. Category name is up to you.
    2.) Set up your main article view (index.php) to show all categories, except those category reserved for the special news.
    3.) Set up a new link in your navigation, that shows all articles belonging to that special news category.

If you need a programmer, I can do that for you. Send me a PM.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, I want two main blog post pages but I can not find a way how to because I do not know the php Page Template for it. Unless there is another way.

Also, thanks for replying.

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean? You post and it will go into two categories which will show up on the homepage? Or you post something and have the ability to make it show on the homepage or not? I don't really get it. The way you're describing it sounds like you could just use categories.

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why don't you put the category as a page by using page links to plugin

6. Erik

Erik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I understand page links to is for external links, which means 2 blogs with 2 wordpress installs. He wants do it with one single wordpress install.

7. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tink it can still be use that way. Category link can still be added as a page.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys I found a way. I used categories instead of pages, as they show posts.

Also, Thanks Erik for the help.

Jerlene - Thats exactly it. I'm a real noob with WordPress as its my first time using a blog..