Help with managing clients

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Annabella, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Annabella

Annabella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I do design work for people and I have a recurring problem. When I meet clients for work, they think they have unlimited free meetings and changes on a design with me. This has taken up enormous amounts of my time, and I've discovered when people think they can have free changes they make changes for change sake. In fact, sometimes they go back to the first draft I designed! And I might have spent 5 hours making changes! I have also discovered when people have to pay for changes they think about them more. I have to quantify changes and meetings so I added to my terms and conditions a client has 2 FREE consultations. I think this is sufficient. After this they pay $40 for a meeting etc. I must do this or a project will never end and it goes completely out of control. Now, my last client is very fussy with the design and wanted again, unlimited free meetings. In the past some of these meetings have lasted 4 hours and I was a bigger fool to give 4 hours it's completely exhausting. I have pointed out to the fussy client there are just 2 free consultations. Now, instead of a 3rd meeting he wants me to email him the pdfs of the designs. While I ordinarily have no problem doing such things, I am anticipating trouble here. If I give him the designs he might go elsewhere or think he himself is a designer or claim he did all the work and I did nothing. I can't understand why he can't just write on the print outs I gave him all the changes he needs. Will I email him the pdf's and protect them? Or will I say they are too big to email and does he have dropbox which may put him off?

Regarding meetings, I have noticed lawyers make it difficult to meet them, so when you do what you have to say is vital and you don't waste their time. Additionally, they charge you for each meeting! I don't see why I must continuously be killing myself like this for a flat fee.

Does anyone have any insights it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Annabella have you considered including something in your client quotations that states how many revisions you can provide for the price? If the client requires more than that number of revisions you charge him / her for them?

With regards to the PDF, could you send them a low resolution version that has your business name on it as a watermark?

It sounds to me as if you need to become a little more assertive and to take more control over your time. Do you find it hard to say no to people?

3. Richardwell25

Richardwell25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey there, I've got a possible solution for you. There is a program called team viewer that will allow to share your screen with a person. This way he can see the designs without being able to steal them (If he's tech orientated then he may know about screen readers).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Annabella

Annabella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good idea thanks!