Help with computer class

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by mysteryinc96, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mysteryinc96

mysteryinc96
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For my computer class, I need to interview three people who use spreadsheets for business purposes. Please reply with your name, name of business, and your answers to these questions:

• What spreadsheet software do you use?
    • What made you choose that particular software?
    • For which business functions does your company or you personally use spreadsheets?
    • What are some personal applications of spreadsheets?
    • What makes using a spreadsheet easier?
    Thank you, this helps a lot.

2. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, I'm not too sure many people here are going to tell you their name and name of business. If I were you I'd just go to some local shops and ask around, every business at some point or another uses spreadsheets these days.

I can however answer the questions, feel free to make up a name and company name.

- Numbers '09 (from Apple's iWork suite)
    - We standardized on Apple equipment a while back. Mainly because, well... I run the place and I like Apple's software.
    - Business, I run a non-profit but there's piles upon piles of paperwork that goes with the 501c3 status. Basically we report all financial information as if the company was a publicly owned (stock) corporation. So finance and legal compliance.
    - Shopping list, organization of things... though honestly that's kind of a strange question as you're looking for "people who use spreadsheets for business purposes" and asking me about personal use.
    - Easier than what? Paper and pen? - Not trying to give you a hard time but I don't think spreadsheets make many things easier. It makes things look better but easier? Nah, you're still dealing with the same data regardless if it's laid out nicely in rows and columns or not.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Answers to your questions below;

your name - Fergal Crawley

name of business - Business Advice Forum

What spreadsheet software do you use?
    Excel

What made you choose that particular software?
    I learned Excel as part of a college course, so I used the software I was trained to use.

For which business functions does your company or you personally use spreadsheets?
    Recording and reporting website statistics.
    Keeping accounts for tax returns.

What are some personal applications of spreadsheets? N/A

What makes using a spreadsheet easier?
    Probably the fact that it is part of Microsoft Office, it is easily to get trained on it and it is an acceptable format for communicating data to others.

Good luck with your research.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ArcSine

ArcSine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Programs: MS Excel, LibreOffice Calc, Gnome's Gnumeric.

• Reasons for choices: Excel is ubiquitous; it's the "universal language" of spreadsheets. Calc: Free, open source; frequent updates; active and robust developer support; easily extensible with Python, Java, C++. Gnumeric: Free, open source; proven superior accuracy (particularly with respect to statistical functions); larger library of statistical functionalities; fast.

• Business apps: Cash flow and financial modeling; data and statistical analysis; light database-ish stuff; accounting systems; business financial analysis.

• Personal apps: Checkbooks / checking registers; investment tracking and analysis.

• Why easier with a spreadsheet program: The row-and-column layout corresponds to objects which tend to have a natural 2-dimensional arrangement; e.g., inventory records, financial, economic, and accounting data, tax records, etc. The built-in functions make light work of the kinds of tasks one typically wants to perform with these objects, such as summing, filtering, sorting, analyzing, and so on.

Just my 1 ½ ¢. Hope that helped a bit, and best of luck with the project.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mysteryinc96

mysteryinc96
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys! This helps a lot.