Help with business laws in Washington state?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Angela, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Angela

Angela
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I'm new here...
    Anyway, My fiance currently owns and operates a heating & cooling business in the L.A. area. I live in the Seattle area. We are both planning on moving out of our respective states (in May) to rebuild his business together elsewhere. He is currently licensed in California, as well as the new state.

Since I live in Seattle, we have been thinking lately that it would be very financially helpful if he were also able to work in my area, since he visits me frequently. What I'm wondering is this: Will he (we?) need to be licensed in the state of Washington for him to contract here? Who can I ask about this? I have looked up a lot of information about the laws here, as well as having past experience running a business here, but I can't seem to find much that pertains to HVAC. Would he be able to skip licensing since it's temporary, and thus, he will likely not make much? Where can I find out what the business climate in this field is like? Would companies be likely to use his services without a license if he doesn't need one?

Sorry so many questions... We're well prepared for the other state, just not really mine...

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum Angela.

Does your fiancé have an accountant for his business? If he does this accountant will no the exact business circumstances and should be able to give you a definitive office. Another option to consider would be getting in touch with your local IRS office.

Good luck with the move.