Help Review and build...

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by houstonVijai, Aug 23, 2010.

1. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Howdy folks,

With my CFP exam prep, new baby and full time job, you can imagine that its tough to find time at all and not to mention finding time to chat and discuss in forums. Being said that, it is even tough to get a website launched. But I was able to do it with lots of help. Just revamped a website which I been postponing for a while.

Blogitects.com - A member network community for blog designers and consultants to get help to build their own blogs and CMS platform. It was done fully using WP and WP plugins.

I would like you guys to check it out and gimme a feedback. I know there are lot more things still need to be done but thought I have to start somewhere by introducing to the outside world and get some use for it. Please I also encourage you to sign up and help build the community.

Thank you all.
    Vijai:)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like you have been having a busy life recently Vijai, well done and congratulations on everything, especially the new baby.

As I'm sure you know, the site looks like FaceBook at first look. I'd suggest that you need to make the purpose and benefits of the site a little clearer on the site home page. When a first time visitor reaches your site, it is important that they can quickly see and understand what the site is about and how it can benefit them.

I've joined and the registration process went smoothly. One thing I did notice is that I created a password for my account, but then the system created a new password for me and sent it to me in a verification email. I'm not quite sure why that happened.

Your logo does not link to your homepage, I know you have a "Home" button in the navigation area and perhaps it is just me, but when I visit a site I like t be able to return to the home page, by clicking on the site logo.

The logo and site slogan look a little blurry and out of focus on my browser, perhaps they would appear more professional if you could make them appear sharper.

Your site is obviously new, hence it hasn't got much content yet. You will need to develop and publish helpful content on the site, in order to attract and keep new members.

Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing it develop and grow.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The site seems to be plain and honestly, I can't understand what the site is for on the first glance.

LOGO/BANNER: The banner is rather plain. Try to make a new and attractive one.
    Be sure to make it more professional and Web 2.0-ish. Don't forget to add a LOGO that best reprensts your site.
    Anyways, I noticed that the link is not on the logo/banner, but in the empty space below it. AFAIK, it has to do with the codes of on your blog.

TITLE/FAVICON: Your site lacks a good <title> tag. It only shows up "| Home" on my browser.
    It also still don't have any favicon. Hope you could fix this.

RSS: Is it really needed to have the RSS on your homepage?

CONTENT: Since the site is kinda new, I can't see any content on it.
    It's much better to post some content on your site so that visitors will stay longer on your site.

TEMPLATE: The template is plain and simple. But you can incorporate plain and simple to a very attractive template and design.
    According to my experiences, the template and design is one of the first things that visitors see on any website. So it's good to take a look at this aspect of your site.

All in all, it's in a good start and still needs at lot of improvement.
    Good luck and hoping you the best!:thumbsup:

4. alel

alel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I absolutely agree Gekidan regarding the logo..You should highlight more on the image that you want people to remember on. Then moved on to add more content. This is the most daunting works.. It took me nearly 2 months just to add in content so that at least my visitors have something that they think worth to look into.

5. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys,

THanks for the feedback. I know what you all mean. Good logo, clickable, proper title and so forth. Putting a social media network site is not a simple task by programming yourself. So I went with the free Buddypress plugin from Wordpress. WHen you use the plugins, it really takes time to fine tune and make it right. I been working on this site forever. So I don't care much for the beauty since it is more free and to help each other.

Craigslist.org is not beautiful site but it does what it is intended and its free. Thats what I am shooting. If you look at my other sites, you will see what you are looking. I just don't have time to put on to get this site beautiful and I don't want to spend more time since there is no money making involved. It just a platform to share each other when you are looking for information to create a blog or CMS site.

But I totaly appreciate your comments. Please signup and create login and experience the networking. It has more to offer when you try out. :)

Vijai

6. landau

landau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A very quick tip/tweek: top menu - I'd add a:hover effect with background/color changes.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Vijai the site still needs quality content. It is very difficult to build a social networking or community site - the reason being is that you start with very few members and content and when people visit the site they are reluctant to join, because it doesn't have members or content - unfortunately it's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Is it possible for you to get a small group of people who will contribute to the site every day and start building its content? You could do this by doing exchanges with other people, whereby you contribute on their sites in return for them participating on yours - you could find people to do exchanges with in the the exchanges section of the forum promotion site in my signature.

Good luck with it.

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I opened it up, it reminded my of Facebook, with that shade of blue, Facebook type buttons and the green search button. I'm not sure if you intended on that, but I don't think that's the way to go because it's too much like Facebook in a sense of design features. However, it could be a way to get your site going as there aren't too many sites that have the Facebook look, but it's a risk.

The site feels dull. I don't know what it is about on first look, I'm not sure what you offer, I'm not sure if it works. You need to assure me that it works and you need to tell future members/clients about the topic. Since it's not a large site, eg. Facebook, you really need to let your target market know your purpose because I can't fully tell on first glance. You could possibly add some "process image" or "flowchart", showing a step by step process on what you offer. Maybe have 1) Register; 2) Fill in profile; 3) Blog discussions etc.

Good luck.

9. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, as few guys said above. I can't understand site is all about. But, then after looking many things around I came to know that it is Social Networking site specially for Blog Architects, Consultants, Designers, Creators and CMS designers.

Looking at the layout and design of the site it looks similar to Facebook. There can be few reasons of it like, the color, the header boxes and the buttons of the site. In my opinion if you are trying to make a social networking site then you should come up with your own new innovative design which makes people remember about you and your site. Something like Facebook, and Twitter did when they launched.

Another thing, which I did not is the graphics quality. They are not good looking and attractive at all. Specailly, the logo of the blog which looks very bad and it's quality is also bad. I see, that you have created the logo in JPEG (JPG) format that which has made the quality of logo bad. I think you should use .png format or .gif which makes it looks very good.

Few tips regarding SEO of the site. I see that you have given no attention to it, so that is the area which needs to be improved. When I checked the description of your site it was " - " means you have entered nothing there. Another thing is Keywords of site, when I looked at it I got to know that there are no keywords there which means in Search Engines you won't be able to rank.

If you make improvement in the above things, your site would look much better.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But it's kinda hard for first time visitors to understand what's the purpose of your site.
    And another thing, if you don' have time to put in improving this site, why make it in the first place?:confused:

11. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would disagree with this. Those keyword tags are being phased out by major search engines. Some sites which support this are: SEMPo_Org, SEOMoz.org which do not include the keywords tag itself. So why would large sites that are SEO based not include them? Because they are not essential. Google does not rely on meta keyword tags as a major part in rankings; content and backlinks are much more dominant.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

dotDavid is correct, Google does not use the meta-keyword tag. However, it only takes a minute to add them and some of the smaller search engines do use them. Hence, it's a good idea to add them to your site - they may help a little and they won't do any harm.

13. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are correct. Google or Bing do not use meta keyword, but there are many other search engines which does and it would be useful in them.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with what Fergal said. It's just easy and won't harm anything if you will add one.

15. WebWizard

WebWizard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree as well. The template to my eyes is to basic, need any helplet me know :)

16. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Sohil, GekiDan, Fergal,

Thank you so much for all the feedback. Let me clarify something here.

First of all, the main purpose or objective of the site is to create a platform for any one who wants to create or design a blog or CMS portal to interact and get their questions answered. When I created my blogs and CMS portals, I ended up searching google to even find out small answers. It was hard and I thought may be many people are having the same issue. There is no one common website which helps developer or designers to interact and get help on all the CMS or blog open source apps. SO I decided to launch a site and figured blogitects like architects as the domain.

I got this domain long back and been trying to implement a good networking platform but everything cost hefty amount. I was looking for cost free solution since I don't have motive to earn money at the start, just a social help. Recently I came across wordpress plugin buddypress which does lot of things I wanted. So I did some research and finally ended up launching it. I know it is not picture perfect website because it needs money and time to do it. I don't have time and not want to spend money.

Hope this gives some idea about the background of the site. Being said that, I created the site logo just like that and put it out there. Templates and meta tags need some work and I need time to create my own template. Since buddypress is a standalone plugin and there is no commerical template available to buy. I used free template. In order to add meta tags, i researched and added a new plugin for that yesterday. You see some meta tags now. Everything needs time. Creating a social media website from scratch is lot of work and buying and configuring some out of box tool is costly as well. That why I went on this route.

If anybody likes to improve on it, I am happy to give them permission to the site to make it look good since it is sandbox site and hope to build traffic and people use it for interacting to clarify their questions.

Otherthan logs and visual effects, can you try ou tthe functionality and let me know? That will help. THat is the important aspect of this site.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Vijai, I would say that what the site needs more than anything is additional content. Maybe review the site in terms of how it can help a first time visitor. What will they get from the site / how will they benefit and learn from it?

18. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am aware of that and working on it. I am also working to find some bloggers to join and post answers. If you have any suggestion or forum which I can post and get some traffic. That would help as well.

Thanks

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Vijai, we have lots of bloggers here on Business Advice Forum. You would be welcome to advertise your new site in your signature and in our Member Ads & Marketplace section.

20. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the help Fergal. I am still figuring out lot of things with this buddypress plugin. I wanted an first level feedback which I got from you guys. It doesn't make sense to publicize until I add more content which I have in mind. I want to add things like how to start a blog to how to market it, how to host your own blog, how to create CMS and so forth. But I don't have time to do all those things. I know the content but putting together and publishing them takes time. I hope to get to it someday. Meanwhile, I will conntinue to fight with the available plugins and content to make this site atleast usable.

thanks
    Vijai