Help - Picking the domain name

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by houstonVijai, Sep 23, 2010.

1. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Howdy folks,

Hope you all doing good. Sorry for not being active participate since I am preparing for my cfp exams coming up in Nov. Anyway, I been thinking about this for long time and planning to go for it.

I want to start a website which will be platform for cfp wannabe's.It will be a wordpress based website with community forum and blogs and other stuff. I been thinking about some domain names and did my initial keyword search. I short listed few like,

wannabeCFP.com
    becomeCFP.com
    CFPfy.com
    GetCFPCertified.com
    MyCFP.com

What do you think would be your choice? Any other new suggestions.

2. AdamW

AdamW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

MyCFP.com works for me however getCFPcertified.com could be good SEO wise for having certified in the domain. You could buy both and redirect one to other.

I'd avoid posting domains you want to buy but haven't yet bought in a public forum - people like to trawl and will register them in the hope you will pay them A LOT more than they are worth. Use a private part of a forum, etc.

3. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi
    first of all, are you willing to invest money in your domain name?
    if the doamain doesnt exist, it will cost you about 12 a year to register it, just click the domain name you are after and see if it exists, or check it on godaddy.com
    if it already exists, you are in for quite an expense, you should actually contact the owner while using brokers from sedo.com or godaddy.com, the broker will cost ya 70 dollars + your offer for the site.
    so basically, shortlist names, and check their availability, this way your list will get a lot shorter and focused..

4. SetMyCompanyUp

SetMyCompanyUp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Spot on. SEO is a very important thing to consider when buying the domain.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with Adam that MyCFP.com is probably the best of the list, although MyCFPCommunity.com would probably be more descriptive of what the site actually is for. I would avoid using a phrase in your domain for SEO purposes because most people would think you are probably highly ranked because the phrase is in your domain name rather than for any help you could give them.
    GetCFPCertified.com or becomeCFP.com would not fit unless you were actually offering classes on becoming a CFP, or you could actually get people certified. And finally, I would avoid the term "wannabe" because of negative connotations. In another words, people might get the impression that your site is for "CFP wannabe's" instead of people who really know what they are doing.

6. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the good suggestion folks. I thought about people hacking and getting the domain in the public forum and register so they can get more money selling it. But there is no assurance in domain selling since you don't know somebody is going to really do it. ;)

7. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

MyCFP is gone and somebody already stole it.

8. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am actually thinking about making some iphone apps for CFP exams and plannig to sell it via this website as well. So I am thing towards that objective as well.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd also avoid the wannabeCFP.com, it sounds a little unprofessional and no one wants to be a "wannabe".

MyCFP.com is my favourite of the bunch, it is a short memorable dot com and is relevant to your site - if it's still available I'd suggest that you register it quickly, as it will probably be snapped up soon.

Does the "fy" have any significance in CFPfy.com?

10. David White

David White
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What about CFPCertified.com - it appears to be available if you are quick :)

11. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually MyCFP.com is attractive but it doesn't really convey the real meaning of the website when I thought about it more. It might give a wrong impression that anybody who has CFP of their own to handle their finances can sign up or use this website.

The main purpose which I am aiming is to help who are planning and currently working on their CFP study whether its finance profesional or somebody like me who never had any finance background or somebody who just finish their college and looking to enhance their career. My concept is to shed light on available colleges and their offers, how to prepare exams, how to get the certificatrion and more..

Getting a CFP is similar to getting any law or CPA certification. It is tough and need constand motivation. I want my site to provide that with community involvement. Keep all those in mind, I thinkiing about the website/domain name.

CFPCertified.com is good but more centric towards getting certification which might work. I am looking something innovative. I thought of CFPfy.com or something.. Please pour our suggestions...:)

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

houstonVijai you will obviously have a better understanding of your target market's requirements than me. My opinion was the word "My" in "myCFP" would help create a strong sense of community and ownership of their efforts to become a CFP. If the site domains communicates what you want it to communicate, to your target market, is it really a problem if some people outside of your target market also believe that the site could help them?

Good luck with getting the best domain for your site. Also don't forget that those domains won't last long and if you don't snap them up soon they will be gone. Sometimes it's useful to have other domains related to your site, that point to it. If the extra domains are valuable it should not be too difficult to find ways to profit from them, as your main site grows.

13. www.chinadreambox

www.chinadreambox
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

CFPfy.com is best choice ,because CFP before fy will good for goole search

14. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you all. I am still thinking about it.. Will let you know once I decide.

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I liked GetCFPcertified.com. I'd drop the wannabe one, that's too casual a name.

I also liked the MyCFP very much and agree with Fergal. As soon as they get there it will be obvious what your site's about anyway.

How about CFPprofessionals.com? CFPstudents.com? CFPstudyhall.com? CFPstudenthelp.com? CFPtobe.com? CFPintraining.com?

Ok, I'm out of ideas. And I still like MyCFP. :)