Help me decide on a business name while refining the business itself.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by CodyAE, May 28, 2015.

?

Which variation of the name is better?

1. Kingdom Crafters

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. The Kingdom Crafters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CodyAE

CodyAE
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there, everyone.

My name is Cody, and I'm starting a small business.
    My company makes channel art for Youtubers and Twitch Streamers.

I am basically a graphic design company; however, I want to eventually become what is essentially a branding/marketing company for youtube/twitch.tv broadcasters.

I want my business name to reflect the fact that I help youtubers/streamers increase their own brand recognition (create a broadcasting brand for themselves) through hiring me to be their graphic designer / company image manager.

This is the name I came up with so far, and I am quite proud of it:

Kingdom Crafters

The reason I choose this name was because I feel it reflects my company's purpose (to build your brand; to craft your kingdom), while also being a somewhat of an informal name.
    In other words, I wanted the name NOT to be intimidating -- like you don't perceive it as a super-premium, expensive service (though it could be).

Because my service is not, what I feel, is expensive -- the average channel design is $60 (which I think is reasonable considering the time it takes to create a design).

What I need help with is deciding whether I should call myself:
    (1)
    "Kingdom Crafters" (full business name: Kingdom Crafters Graphic Design or like, Kingdom Crafters Marketing ... w/e)
    or
    (2)
    "The Kingdom Crafters" (that would be the full name, with company purpose/category left ambiguous, like: The Kingdom Crafters, LLC.)

w/ the url of the company being kingdomcrafters(dot)com or thekingdomcrafters(dot)com respectively? (I own both.)

and also do you think I am making a good choice with my pricing?

Like should I keep it at the "low end", and cater to individual broadcasters, or should I increase it and cater to the "high-end", corporate broadcasting image level.

Thoughts, feedback, questions?

PS - If you can't already tell, I am a younger entrepreneur. Still learning/ making mistakes. Don't be afraid to lay on it on heavy. While your opinions matter, I won't make the mistake of blindly following them either.

PSS - I have a logo (for advice giving purposes), so I attached it.

View attachment 2467 View attachment 2466

Thanks,
    - Cody

2. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What exactly are you designing? Logos? I am partial to the Kingdom Crafters name.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Like tsubibo, I am partial to "Kingdom Crafters", as the "The" seems redundant. I am wondering what the gear is for in your logo. Obviously, the crown represents the "Kingdom", but the logo should also in some way reflect what you do, or at least not confuse the potential customer. To me the gear in the logo signifies a machine of some kind, rather than the "Crafters" I think you were going for.

4. CodyAE

CodyAE
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I actually received great feedback on the logo...
    While a cog typically represents a machine/ something industrial, it also represents building/construction/making -- crafting and building/making are alike terms/synonyms.

Here is why I am fiddling over the "the" distinction:

Without the "the", the company name conveys a more indirect feeling:
    If you say the sentence "Hi, my name is _____, and my company name is Kingdom Crafters.", then there is this absent feeling in the latter half of the name...
    In a way, part of you wants to follow up the name with a title, like:
    Paramount PICTURES. Adobe SYSTEMS. Kingdom Crafters GRAPHIC DESIGN. Etc.

But with the "the", then that ambiguous feeling disappears:
    If you say the sentence "Hi, my name is _____, and my company name is The Kingdom Crafters.", it flows better.
    The advantage of this variation is also in the fact that I don't have to add "graphic design" title at the end.
    So, if my company transitions from a Graphic Design company to a Branding company, then that transition will be easier because Kingdom Crafters has ties to both Graphic Design and Branding/Marketing in the name's "feel".

So of the top firms in the world for graphic design, web design, and branding have fairly strange names, you must keep in mind:
    (for example)
    Hello Monday
    Never Bland
    Superhero Cheesecake
    MaxBurst
    BigDrop

Compared to their names, I don't think my name is very different/ any bit less strange.
    That doesn't mean the name Kingdom Crafters is the best choice, but it does count for something.

5. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can always add "the" during your introductions and just omit it from your business name. Sounds better at conversations pertaining to where they got their designing.

Me: Who did your logo?
    Other person: Kingdom Crafters.

Really sounds better. IMHO.

6. MahaKarthi

MahaKarthi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Kingdom Crafters is a good name I think. You can have a tag line that conveys your company's vision and what it does. You can work with whatever business comes your way till you have a decent clientele and then become picky. Look at giants in other industries and in your own industry so as to see how they crafted their success stories.