help for Statement of purpose

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by silent_thunder, Nov 23, 2008.

1. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am applying to universities for my post graduation courses. So I need to write a state of purpose for the colleges.

I have an rough idea on how a sop should look. But I would like the forums help too.

these are the questions I asked and the answers I came up with.

1. I want to start my own business so that is one of my career goals that is important to me

2. why you want to study business ?? Well I thought by studying business I can improve my skills further

3. Why choose our college?? I have found no answer for this

Any changes to these answers or how can we make it better

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Has the college given you any guidelines as to how the statement of purpose should be written, eg how many words should it be?

Do you want to write a real statement of purpose for your life (an extremely useful exercise) or are you focusing on writing something to get you into the college?

Surely you must have some ideas in mind for this, otherwise you wouldn't be making the effort to apply. What attracts you about the college - is it their geographic location, facilities available, academic achievements, success of past students, range of courses available, etc?

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that your 3rd question, "Why choose our college?" should be your top priority in answering. That's what the college president and officers just want to know. Do some research by checking their website and if you can somehow link the college into how they can help you achieve your goals, then you've had it made and already got a foot inside the door of the college.

If you can also research on their successful alumni especially if it's in the field/course you wanted to take, it would also be a plus for you if you will also mention this and relate it to the particular field that you wanted to study.

4. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to study there for the placements. but how can just put it in a better way. I want the money and placements. :) IIM has the best infrastructure and placements in the whole of India. But I just cant write I need money or is it okay if I write I need money??

This is their mission statement.

Mission
    Academic excellence and leadership in university based management education in India through high quality teaching, research, case development, innovative courses and pedagogy of learning.

Vision
    To develop collegename as a world class university based institution of academic excellence and thought leadership in management education.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Quality placements are something that can make a course very attractive and the college will be well aware of this. You could make it clear that you are interested in the placements because they give you the opportunity to learn through experience and to earn money at the same time. I would however, focus on the experience element rather than the money part.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money is often associated with success Silent_thunder so instead of using the word "money", replace this with "success" instead. You can say something like "..a stepping stone on your way to success" or maybe "..a big first step towards success" or "..the school will facilitate your way to success" or "..will be invaluable in helping you achieve your goals" or something like that.

Here are some samples of SOP for Business Management course.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi silent!
    Well you have not stated the location where you will have to write your state of purpose of your colleges- India or Abroad for your post graduation...
    I am pointing out this because do consider cultural issues while preparing one & the expectations of the University accordingly.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good points, everyone. Lots of wise words there, Silent. :)

Silent, how much space does it allocate on the application form for you to respond? It is just a line or a full page or does it ask you to submit it on a separate piece of paper for example. This relates to Fergal's point about how many words - if they've given you half a page to reply, you can bet they don't expect one sentence.

The link Nazreen's gave you is excellent because it shows what's right and what's wrong with each paragraph. I think that's going to be a great help to you. Excellent find, Nazreen.:) Judging by that they'd expect at least a paragraph.

Another important point that site brings up : "Schools are on the lookout for applicants who have contributed to society and a line about how the voluntary sector also needs modern management techniques (or even a contrarian view - corporates needing to learn from NGO's) would add some value. "

Got any voluntary work you do you could mention perhaps?

9. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh thanks you so much for the suggestions from everyone.I am applying to FMS which is a college in India.

They can be 350 words or just about. Not more than 400 words.

But reading these posts I am able to draw a rough sketch of what I needed to right. Thanks once again

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

FMS- Faculty of Management Studies is one on the few premier grade B-Schools in India.
    Congratulations Silent for passing the entrance test criteria of the same..
    Best wishes for state of purpose...!!