Help! Ebay buyer claiming item is broken...

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Adam, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heya. The letter i recieved from the buyer...

"Dear adam-wells92,

hi adam, i recieved the item in the post today, fast delivery but the item wasnt even worth putting on my iphone - it had all peeled of and the pakage had actually been opened before arrival!!!!!

i am really dissapointed - becase it was a good service but i never got my item! would you rather re send the item? or could you refund?

jamie"

I have sent out 4 of these and people have recieved them fine and then this 1 to the buyer, Jamie. He basically claims that it peels off and the package has been opened where it was brand new and in packaging and i can essure you that, otherwise i would not have put it in the description.

Anyway, what am trying to ask is that Should i give him a refund or send a replacement?
    Im not so sure as he is quite new to ebay with a rating of only 12, i think from memory.

I have asked for a picture which he is yet to send me but im not sure what to do next if he does produce one.

Any ideas? replacement or money back?

Thanks
    Adam

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Adam, I can only speak for myself, but I would do the following:

Send him another mail asking for a picture of the item, just explain that you need this so that you can understand the issue to make sure it doesn't happen again. Ask him if along with the picture, if he could indicate if he would prefer a refund or a new item.

Sometimes you have to take a small hit to build up a reputation of a decent guy.

If he wants another item, take a new picture of it and of the package once you have got it ready. Send these pictures to him and say that it is now being sent and the pictures show him what it looks like on dispatch. This is just to show him your methods to show you are thorough in what you do.

Make a careful note of the buyer just in case anything like it happens in the future.

3. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heya. Thankyou so much for replying Seanstevens :) Just the guy im after to talk about this problem i have.

Firstly i am sorry that you have experienced this with a buyer :( as i know it is rather anoying!

I have sent him a message on ebay asking for a picture, so i will wait to see if i get one and what it shows..
    Obviously i want to build on my reputation as i do not want my 100% to ever go away from me and i think he is wanting a new one (replacement) so what he has said anyway to me.

Great idea by the way of sending a picture of packaging up the item or how it is packaged as that will show that i have done it in the correct manner and properly.

Thanks once again for your help - Appreciated :D

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is it possible that someone opened the package before it got to your customer? Or that it got damaged in some other way, during transit?

Have either you or the buyer got any insurance or payment protection in place, to cover you for such an eventuality?

If the package got damaged or tampered with in transit, maybe you should contact the shipping company and ask them if they can do anything about it.

Sending him another product should be a better option for you. Assuming you were making some profit on the item, it should be cost you less to re-send a product than to issue the refund. Although as has already been said I would not issue the refund until I see a picture of the damaged product.

Good luck with getting it sorted and please do keep us updated.

5. madringo

madringo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It could have been opened by the postal service if they suspected it of being a suspicious package. Although they usually do their best to repackage it as best they can and issue a note stating why they opened it.

I wouldn't issue a replacement or refund until I got proof of the damaged item or received it back.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some of my friends experienced the same problem from ordering online. But most of them just blame it to the custom office of their country for opening the item without the consignee's consent. Honestly, I hate that. Luckily, the last Item I got haven't been opened or damaged.

People who orders online can take this as a warning that this can happen to anyone, anywhere. They should all take the consequences that these kinds of things will happen anytime.

Have you asked your customer if he have asked or inquire their customs or post office that this had happen?
    Honestly, pics can be deceiving, and maybe he just want to have another item and he's lying.

7. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks mate :)

Im going to see what picture he comes up with, cause i have asked for one not to say he is a lier or anything, i just want it to improve services that i produce in the future. So we will see if he does...

Im not going to presume that yet, as they could get told off by ebay if they actually did that so i wouldnt think they'd do that, you just have to believe people on trust i suppose.

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Adam,

Sorry to hear that.

In my advice you should trust your customer, as this has happened to me also and I tried to tell the seller about that and the seller reply that nothing gone happen, he didn't refund nor send it back. I reported the seller in eBay but they are still till the date investigating it.

I would recommend you too see the picture and replace the item. But tell the seller to post the item back in courier and you will pay of it also and then go to the courier company and claim it. If they do not agree in that show them proof as well as your client's email telling you that item has problems. If they do not do anything then take the matter to your local court.

The process may be long but for improving your services you need the best things.

9. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry to hear what you have experienced mate :(

Yeah i think im going to wait for a picture to be honest and then offer a replacement :) so that my buyer is happy and im happy also :p

10. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is good Adam. Hope the matter solves.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm just wondering what item is this?

12. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The item was a iphone case :)

Still no reply with regards to a picture i have asked for from them...

Any suggestions on what i do ?

13. m0sad

m0sad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

next time get buyer insurance

14. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Erm, thanks for that?

I did know that already.

15. unleashed

unleashed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nicely said seanstevens.
    Well, I would suggest you to look on his reputation. Has he scammed anyone in past? IS so and you have 100% reputation then you would have no problem winning the case. Yes, ask for a picture as a proof. That's what I can say :)

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If he doesn't provide a picture, after saying that he would, you don't have to provide him with a refund or a new product.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

And a refund or item resent is not applicable when the buyer doesn't purchase the item insurance.

18. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well he has not provided one yet, so i dont think he is going to come up with one ever...

I bet he has tried it before and people like me just dont ask for pictures in return, hence him getting 2 items for the price of 1.

Im not stupid :)

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If I was you I wouldn't contact him until he gets back to you. The ball is in his court and if he wants a refund, it's up to him to get in touch with you and provide you with the photos, as discussed.

20. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good idea Fergal. I will play the waiting game...

He talked about "board of directors" at one point, saying he would send pictures to them lmao.