Help and advice for starting out as a web designer

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by StarbidAuctions, Mar 30, 2011.

1. StarbidAuctions

StarbidAuctions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im thinking of useing hostgator for the reseller hosting and maybe for tools with web designing please can anyone tell me if hostgator are any good?

Also what free web designer software is the best for starting out or can i have advice on how to start up please.

Thanks

2. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From what I have heard, host gator is a very good host. If I'm not mistaken, host gator hosts this site. For the designing, you will need a decent source code editor and a decent graphics program like GIMP. After that, you are pretty much set for becoming a designer. Also, if you need help, there are plenty of gimp tutorials out there, however if you get photoshop, there are a lot more ;)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

HostGator are a very reliable host and they provide top quality hosting. You won't go too far wrong with them if you are starting out.

4. StarbidAuctions

StarbidAuctions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks i have downloaded the gimp editor and it is great, i have also downloaded the notepad but am finding it is good but not what im compleatly after, I am after a tool that lets you edit with and without html etc for example when you join and create websites with hosting providers they tend to let you build the website and edit the layout and pages etc im after that kind of tool which lets you do this and edit stuff with coding.

Is there anything like this available please? I have heard hostgator provides you with tools as well is this correct? i have only seen there sitebuilder and cannot stand it.

I have downloaded the following: NetObjects Fusion Essentials and blue voda (blue voda is no good due to having to host with them to use it)

5. dhayfule

dhayfule
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Starbid,

If you want to become a web designer, do not ever go for WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors.

The W3C (WWW consortium) has laid guidelines and recommends writing web pages that are compatible across multiple platforms. Gone are those days when any one could become a web designer just by working on FrontPage or DreamWeaver that used to export HTML.

Today standard websites need to follow W3C guidelines. I hope you are aware of writing HTML. GIMP will help you create Graphics, but to embed those graphics on to web page you will need to know HTML and CSS.

I would recommend you to first start learning HTML and CSS. To begin with you can learn it from w3schools.org

6. StarbidAuctions

StarbidAuctions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks i have already been learning from w3schools.org and think that it is an amazing site i plan on moving onto the css soon as i have nearly finished with the html. I have tried using the notepad but for some reason if i use html it will not show up on the web when i try to open it up onto the internet to preview it.

I will check with the w3c standards now and if anyone else still knows of any other good webdesign tools id be greatful thanks. Is bluevoda any good/ ok to use?

7. dhayfule

dhayfule
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In that case you can use Quanta Plus or Kompozer.

They are Web Editors

8. chase2boyd

chase2boyd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What are pre-requisites to become a web designer? Which languages should be known?

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

chase2boyd I would say that the most important coding language to start off with is HTML, once you have learned the basics of HTML you can move on to CSS. What you do next will depend on the type of sites you wish to create, PHP would be a great option if you want to build dynamic sites.

10. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HostGator is certainly one of the top hosts out there. I have never used them, but from what i heard, they give great support and no downtime. You can Google HostGator reviews for HostGator's customer's feedback.

Good luck

11. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also using Hostgator for my projects. The only thing I noticed is the speed tends to slow down during daytime.

12. kajal123

kajal123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI guys.....it is very helpful for us..Good thought !!! I like this site ...I really thankful to you.....

best regards...
    kajal

13. bhatnaashish098

bhatnaashish098
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi!

host gator is a good website for hosting and if you want to book domain name then go to godaddy.

aquariusmediaa also offers good hosting.

use macromedia dreamweaver for starting a web designing

14. Henry_Jakson

Henry_Jakson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks to all for sharing this wonderful information. This is very helpful for me. HostGator are a very reliable host and they provide top quality hosting. Thanks again.

15. stevenrenolds

stevenrenolds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would recommend that you look into trying out dream weaver rather then hostgators website builder. But overall I think HostGator is your best choice as far as hosting companies is concerned.

#15 stevenrenolds, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012