HELP!! £400 Fine for Late Filing!!!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by nrowe2, Oct 10, 2010.

1. nrowe2

nrowe2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

My Names Natalie.. I own a TINY business which in my first year made a loss... I have to admit first of all I am a total Novice to filing returns!!

I employ my Mum who doesn't earn enough to pay NIC or Tax... I was totally oblivious to the fact I would have to fill a P35 or P14 or ANYTHING?

I CANNOT afford to pay the £400 and wanted to appeal..But have no idea on what grounds? I can't ring them and say I'm just stupid?

Please if anyone can help I'd be really gratefull... Otherwise I'll be googling all night!!

Thanks in advance...

Natalie xxx

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Natalie I'm not up on UK taxes at all I'm afraid. Have you tried your local branch of the Citizens Advice Bureau for help? They give tax advice. Since I don't know what part of the UK you're from, I didn't know where best to direct you to. Have a look at the tax section of the CAB website here and select the appropriate tab for your location.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/tax.htm

This page is specifically related to help with tax problems in England and explains how to appeal: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/tax/help_with_tax_problems.htm

Maybe one of the other members can help you more directly. That's the best I can do for you right now. You could also contact any local debt counseling offices for help.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Natalie, sorry that it took some time before you got answers to your business questions.

You should consider setting up an appointment with your local National Enterprise Agency - you can find their details from the "Find Local Business Support" section at the bottom right of that page.

Do you have an accountant? If not it would be worth considering getting one, a good accountant could save you enough money in tax and penalties, etc, to cover their fees.

4. beancounter

beancounter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Write a letter explaining that this is your very first business venture and that you've been struggling to get it established. You've been wanting the help of an accountant to get your finances sorted but they are not in a psoition to help you because you don't have any money to pay them

Explain to the tax office that if they could waive the fine, you'll be able to stay in business, earn more money and pay more taxes next year. Ask them if they are aware how hard it is for small businesses in the currect economic climate and that you really had every intention to lodge your returns on time

Good luck with that

5. nrowe2

nrowe2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you so much for your help everybody!

I have no got an accountant (as I definatly needed one!!)

He has sent a cover letter explaining what has happened..>So fingers crossed i will be "Let off" The fine!

Thanks again xx

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update nrowe2, good luck with having that fine cancelled. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :)