Hello! I am new here and have a question about client billing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CRM, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CRM

CRM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, my name is carolyn. I own an interior design business in Chicago. I recently obtained a client who hired me initially to design a living room in his new home, but it has since grown to be the whole house. Everything has been going great for the past few months until one day he asked for all of the receipts for everything that had been purchased for the home. Since I had been giving him regular invoices from my end, with all of the information for each piece listed, I was a little confused. He never gave a very convincing argument as to why he needed the wholesale receipts, just sort of danced around the issue of "having all the information in case they ever wanted to sell the furniture in the future" and "given the size of our project, we need a breakdown of the cost components (labor/services vs purchase price of various items) to better understand the value we are receiving."

I have never had anyone ask for such a thing before and have tried in various ways to say no, everything from stating that my invoices were completely acceptable as receipts, to the fact that I charge an industry standard of a 30% markup, to saying that to compile such a record for him would be extremely time consuming and something I could not give on a monthly basis (the offer to compile this information in one bulk record at the end of the project was rebuked). He continues to persist, and my only thinking is that somehow he doesn't believe that I am giving him fair pricing? But I have been upfront with him regarding everything purchased and he agrees before I order something custom or non returnable. I often send choices for him to select from, and each choice has a cost associated with it. I dont want to lose this client but at the same time I really need a way to say "No". Any advice?

2. dorothy135

dorothy135
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should have a talk with him and solve the problem

3. CRM

CRM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

re: billing

Hi Dorothy-

I did, multiple times, as I noted in the initial post. The problem is I dont know how to tell him "no" without losing him as a client.