Healthy Food Delivery Service

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Barney, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Barney

Barney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are thinking of opening up a Healthy Food Delivery Service. We need to know where we could get the following official information.

1. The expected life of the cooking equipment, both fixed and movable items

2. The cost of cooking 100 meals by gas or electricity each day

3. The pay rate for cooks, waitresses and helpers/ van driver

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Coincidently I heard a story on the radio just the other day about how pay rates in the Irish catering industry are governed by Joint Labour Committees (JLC) and you can view the rates for the catering industry here and you can get more info here.

For answers to questions number one and two I'd suggest that you might want to contact various suppliers to the catering industry. They should have that information to hand, for the range of products they supply.

Good luck with it.

3. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your best way to go about this would be through some sort of monthly membership fee. The aspect that will kill a business like this is having a highly variable stream of business.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd love to hear a little more about that concept and how it would work. Are you suggesting that the food delivery business would charge a monthly fee to their customers and in return make x amount of deliveries per month? Do you know of any companies using that type of business model?

5. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the answer on question 2 is that you should know how much you will pay per month and at first decide how many hours a day you plan to work and then count how much it will cost, not how much 100 meals will cost.

6. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe Seattle Sutton and numerous other diet companies operate this way. The one Dan Marino plugs absolutely does. It seems to be the only way to go. Otherwise transactional costs will eat you alive. I'm in America, not sure if the rest of you are familiar with these companies.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that CloptonCapital, I'm not familiar with the Seattle Sutton company but I've had a look at their website at http://www.seattlesutton.com. It's not a concept that I've seen in Ireland and perhaps it is a business model that could work very well for the Original Poster. Thanks again!

8. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Thats a really good idea you have there, could help many people in different scenarios. I would suggest contacting catering supply companies and others that are in the industry, local restaurants etc(just make sure you don't show up during their service!). People are usually happy to help with this information as they too were once in your position. Hope it goes well.

9. stevetamer

stevetamer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In today's demanding world, more and more people are turning to the web for simple ways to order food from their favorite restaurants. If you are a business owner and don't have your own website, there is a good opportunity you are losing business to your competitors. In addition, having a website does not promise that you will get the desired users coming to your site and this is where eatonline, an expert on online restaurant menus and online ordering can help.