Have you used CopyScape or other tools to protect your site?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Fergal, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We've had instances in the past where other sites have copied and pasted content from BAF into their own site, without our permission. I've recently installed a CopyScape banner in our footer, to help protect against this.

Have you used CopyScape to protect your copyright? Has it worked for you? Do you have any suggestions on how to best use CopyScape? Are there any other copyright protection tools that you would recommend?

Thanks!

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm wondering how could this Copyscape banner help sites prevent plagiarism?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

GekiDan, hopefully it will act as a deterrent. When people see that CopyScape banner on a site, they will usually be more conscious and respecting of that site's copyright.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh I see. So other than that?

5. ghenderson

ghenderson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm really curious to hear the responses to this post. We've had allot of trouble with people copying content from our sites and have been looking for a way to deter it and possibly pursue action on some.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

ghenderson I've done a little research into this and have received a couple of suggestions that might also be useful to you.

You could try using Google Alerts, it's a free service and you can set it up to notify you when a certain phrase is published on the Internet. You could use groups of words from your site, and Google would then send you an email, every time those words are published together on the web.

Another option is Copysentry from Copyscape. It can monitor the web for copies of the pages of your site. Unfortunately it's quite expensive, but might work for you if your site doesn't contain many pages.

You can find some very useful info on how to take action against anyone who steals your content here on ShoeMoney.

7. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Another thing you could do is to disable right clicking in order to prevent copy and pasting. We do this on some of our glossary pages by adding some parameters to the body tag. For an example, we have:

<body style="padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 4px; padding-top: 1px; padding-bottom: 1px" topmargin="0" bgcolor="#00009C" ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false" background="calcio%20background.gif">

There are ways round this solution but it probably deters most content thieves!

Cheers - Mike Dove

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, to be honest I'm a little reluctant to enable that here. It would make the forum that little bit more user-unfriendly for our members. For example I sometimes use right click myself when I want to quote a part of someone else's post.

9. ghenderson

ghenderson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the info Fergal. I think we're going to try out Copysentry.

We have disabled the right clicking on our site as Mike recommended, but it doesn't help much. Most people know the can just click view source and copy/paste from there.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with that ghenderson, please post back at a later date to let us know how it works out for you.

11. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a bit old fashioned and still use Frontpage for my sins. When I go to publish our site I click on a tab to optimise the HTML which amongst other things, takes out most of the white space in the code. This makes the code look like one massive horrendous continuous string. Doing this doesn't affect the SEO by the way. This is one more step to stop content thieves if they are looking at the source code as it makes it a bit more of a hassle for them.

At the end of the day unfortunately there is no ultimate deterrent.

Cheers - Mike Dove

12. Missnancyalex

Missnancyalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hay Fergal
    You do not need to worry about copy content! Because of Google recent algorithm update (feb 2011). This will panelize every website which has duplicate content.
    One thing more if you have find some site which use your content then you should use them for SEO propose Send them an email and ask to give a link to your site for using this content!
    You have another option just file an application against them on Google support center. They will take care rest of problem.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it's not really easy to track all of them down... I myself just managed to see those who copied my content accidentally.

14. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you mean Google Panda for this?

15. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Panda is just an algorithm that stops Google indexing duplicate pages. To stop people copying things, Copyspace is a better idea.

16. Missnancyalex

Missnancyalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Its Google Panda! It hardly hit to duplicate content.....:cool:

17. Missnancyalex

Missnancyalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How some one accidentally copied your content? duplicate content will only possible when someone intensely copy your content! I use Google it self to track my content.

Just copy my article lines on Google and if i found exact match I save the web page and content them to remove, rewrite or give me link back to my original article.
    This all scenario looks stupid but It work many time at-least for me!

18. Missnancyalex

Missnancyalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Panda Does not stop Google to index duplicate content! It penalize the sites that have duplicate content so people will now try to make a unique content or at-least rewrite it to avoid duplicate content. This will help to reduce work load of many content contributor sites and they now focus only on high quality content instead of worrying about copied content.

19. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Copyscape is among the best protector for your content. You can also add copyright ownership for your contents by adding a footer link on it with your name/authorship included on it.

20. rjd1265

rjd1265
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the whole Google Panda thing may be true but you have to remember sites like Ezine Articles have codes where you can copy an article exactly for your webpage for information to your reader. So your explanation of GP would indicate that that page on my site would not get indexed bc it is a duplicate...which is not true. I have a site that has over 120 pages and 30 of those pages are articles I published from authors on Ezine. all those pages are indexed???

People are going to copy...no way around it. I just think it is funny they copy my site but yet i am #3 in Google and they are not in the top 1000. I really dont care if I get copied. Fact of the matter is I do all the SEO better than them so I win!