Have you ever used a Neti Pot?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I often wake up in the mornings with a stuffed nose and I've just started using a neti pot to flush out my nose a couple of times a day. The technique is used in yoga and it involves using the pot to pour luke warm, lightly salted water in one nostril and letting it pour out the other nostril. I've just started doing it so haven't noticed any real benefits yet.

Have you ever used a Neti Pot? Did you find it beneficial?

2. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never ever heard about Neti Pot, so obviously I don't have experience with it. But, I use "Niligiri Oil" (aka Eucalyptus oil). It works great for me. And I think you should try it one time.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Sahil, I'm surprised that someone from India hasn't heard of a neti pot, obviously it is not as common there as I thought. I first saw them in Nepal, and have never seen them in Ireland, but I purchased one from Amazon.

Thanks for the tip about Eucalyptus oil, I have used it in the past when I had a cold, but will try it again if the neti pot doesn't do the trick.

Anyone not familiar with neti pots can read more about them here on Wikipedia.

4. Barney

Barney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never heard of neti pot but what I do is when in the shower, I cup my hands together and catch a little water in them, I then inhale it through my nose. This is suppose to be good for colds, I dont know because I do not get colds.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like it's working for you :)

6. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have and they are great - although a little strange to get used to I found. The important thing as you said is to use water that is warm. Cold water is so alien to body temperature that you feel like you're drowning and it is not a good, pleasant or beneficial reaction!!

Continuous use seems to work wonders for many people prone to seasonal allergies and other nasal/sinus conditions. It really helped my partner with his sinus issues.

Me I just use it if I feel like I'm a little snuffly or feel something coming on. I find it helps.

Good luck with it Fergal and may you be blessed with clear sinuses and free flowing breath!

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't used one myself but my friend who has sinus problems swears by them, Fergal. Her pal had bought her one because nothing much was helping her. She didn't really expect that great a result and was pleasantly surprised.

She recommended it to me but I couldn't get past the idea that it would be like when you dive in the pool and inhale water up your nose by mistake. That HURTS!! LOL. Now I've read this thread I think I need to be more adventurous because my sinuses have been killing me all year this year.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tecknowoman do you add salt to the water? If so do you use a special kind of salt?

Kay, it just takes a little getting used to. At first thought it can sound a little disgusting, but once you do it properly it shouldn't hurt at all. It still hurts me a little bit, but I think that's because I'm doing something wrong and that once I figure that out, it will be fine.

9. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yep I use a good quality Himalayan salt - but only a little. It does take a little while to get used to. I think the biggest tip is to go with it and not resist. Because I don't do it very often I tend to bow my head, tilt on an angle and pour but almost try to resist the feeling at the same time. When I get into the swing of it I just let the water flow.

Kay it would be worth trying it really helps my partner's sinus issues and I haven't heard a bad story fmor anyone I know who uses them.

LOL out loud I was just given a Neti Pot user lecture from my personal neti pot "expert"! He suggests he found it easiest to do in the shower where everything was already warma dn steamy. Do one nostril, blow your nose and then the other nostril. Also if it hurts maybe check how much salt. We use less than half a teaspoon. He also said to wear a beanie especially at night. I remember suggesting this to him after a very famous herbalist in Australia recommended it as a cure all for sinus problems. He reckons that has made a huge difference especially keeping the ears warm.

Hope some of that helps!

#9 Tecknowoman, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks to you both for the help! :) I need to show my husband this post because he'll never believe me if I climb into bed with a beanie on when it's 100 degrees outside LOL. I'll try anything right now, honestly. Thank your homegrown expert too please Techknowoman. :)

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Tecknowoman, it definitely gets easier the more often I do it. I use a pinch of table sea salt at the moment, but will keep my eyes open for a more appropriate and higher quality salt.

12. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never heard of the Neti pot before. I normally use some oil, smell it and it will be flush out.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What oil do you use 50Cent?

14. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some Chinese oil(It is in Chinese words, i do not know how to translate) which is quite effective. When i have block nose, i smell it and after 15 to 20 minutes the block nose is lesser.

15. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This should be the first time that i've heard of that. If ever someone suggest me to use it, I don't even want to try it. When it comes tomy nose I don't want to put anything or something. Maybe I am afraid. :D