have idea for web business but no skills

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by tHai9, Jul 6, 2012.

1. tHai9

tHai9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have ideas for a web business or a social site that will solve issues people face everyday. It will be an interactive site. kind of a cross platform between Facebook and Craigslist. I have the idea and ambition but no skills to make it happen, such as programming and coding all that stuff.

Where do i start?
    should i find a programmer and talk over my ideas and what i envisioned?

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What exactly is that site for? To solve daily problems or people? Social networking . media site where people can have a space to bring out their problems and grudges then people and other members could interactive to help those people? Is that it?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with JClark, start networking and see if you can find someone who can code and who might be interested in partnering with you. Have you considered hiring someone to do the coding for you or perhaps even learning how to code yourself?

4. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Perhaps you have money to hire or have friendship in the particular field, else it is very hard to get others help. If a business idea just depend on others, soon or later the team member may setup their own team without relied on you.

5 years back, I also facing same question like you, the most possible way to begin is self learning. A success web business require design, programming, seo, copywriting, sales, marketing, and project management. The more skill you have, the easier for you to attract more community to join the business idea.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are quite a few whitelabel scripts out there as well, might be an idea to use one of those.

6. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There is no simple answer. A lot depends on how much you can afford and how fast you want to launch your site.

I have several clients who have developed and coded most of their own site, learning along the way. That is a slow way to go but definitely the most cost effective. Even using existing scripts, there is almost always some amount of coding necessary to customize the script to meet your needs. If your idea is truly unique, rather than one of the many cookie-cutter sites that merely clone someone else's concept, then you will probably need to do even more customization.

I have other clients who had an idea but no ability to create the site themselves and neither the time nor the inclination to learn to code themselves. Those entrepreneurs basically fell into two groups: (1) those who had enough money to fund at least the initial development out of their own pockets or from their friends and family and (2) those who has only an idea and no cash or access to capital.

If you fall into the group that has some ability to fund the development of your new website, I think you are generally better off paying for the development. If you are paying, you will be able to hire the most appropriate person for the job and insist that your project be given the attention it deserves. You can find someone local or go through websites like Elance or Odesk.

If you are in the group that has an idea but no capital, your choices are limited. You must find someone willing to partner with you in the development of the website. You are limited to individuals who have both the time and desire to work without getting paid currently. That will generally restrict the pool of possible coders significantly, so you may have to go with someone who does not have the ideal skill set for your project. It also usually means that you must give up a significant stake in your business, as well as sharing the decision-making process. I have clients who have successfully launched their business that way, but you can see that it adds a major new dimension of risk to your project.

Like I said, there is no single right answer. You need to feel your way around and find out what seems best for you.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  7. joepigslop

joepigslop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems like you are asking for something complex: combining social networking w/ a craigslist-type business aspect. This project would be expensive for a web designer. Have you thought of off shoring for a web designer?

8. Life_is_good

Life_is_good
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you gotta figure out its executable or not

9. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In short, you have to know the risk and decide on how will you take on those risks - plan ahead, plan something that would support your ideas and plans, and always have a back up plan.

10. kade119

kade119
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i'm a developer and there are always wonderful ideas, even i find myself pondering on a few occasionally but it's a matter of obtaining the users and publicity for your site, once the idea is deployed groups do not just flock to your site... it could sit there for years with the greatest tools available and gain very little popularity. Social sites take a lot of invested time to put together b/c there are so many dynamic aspects to it that you have to examine but like one other suggested if you're serious and have faith in your concept I would look for a developer off-shore b/c a job like that won't be cheap.

11. Greg-first

Greg-first
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First, you need to analyze the competition and then plan the development of the project. After that, you need to define the project budget and then to find professionals (designers, programmers and SEO experts etc).
    There are many other details that need to be learned, web business in not so simple.

12. ezrose

ezrose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there;

Didn't go trough all posts, but here is what I'd do (and did in the past).

Have your project outlined with the most specific details possible.

Than post a job on any of the tens (or hundreds) of outsourcing sites. For programming, I found rentacoder.com to be best.

In the job description give the basics you need, and as you get closer to the right person send him more details and see if he qualifies.

Good luck to you.

13. Daisy232

Daisy232
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I think you are generally better off paying for the development. If you are paying, you will be able to hire the most appropriate person for the job and insist that your project be given the attention it deserves. You can find someone local or go through websites like Elance or Odesk. If you are in the group that has an idea but no capital, your choices are limited. You must find someone willing to partner with you in the development of the website. You are limited to individuals who have both the time and desire to work without getting paid currently.

Thanks,

14. tHai9

tHai9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you for all the replies and comments. I thought about learning all the basics myself and spend years learning and developing it myself but that will take too long. As far as capital is concerned...Maybe i can secure $15,000-20,000 to get going but right now nothing is set just gonna take in all the ideas and look at my options first. Off-shore? where, India?