Have a new product and company. But what is the right market?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by calc13, Dec 21, 2010.

1. calc13

calc13
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Greetings Everyone,

In short, this invention was originally designed for road safety as a communication device for drivers by allowing drivers to communicate words of courtesy to other drivers.

However, through some of the market research I have done, it appears people are less interested in being polite or courteous. People have been interested in the idea of using what they are passionate about to communicate to other drivers. Sports Teams, High Schools, Art, etc...

My product is kind of becoming a bumper sticker (on steroids) which is fine with me, I will evolve as the business evolves.

So, here I sit wondering, what is the best niche to start with and how do I find those consumers who are interested in the device?

Thanks for the input!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum calc13. Are there any legal concerns regarding your product, I mean would drivers be allowed to display these in their cars or would they be considered a distraction that could potentially lead to accidents?

Perhaps you could sell them to sports clubs who could then re-sell them to their members?

What about eBay, have you considered creating a store there?

Car accessory stores might be another good place to sell them?

3. calc13

calc13
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the reply.
    By placing them in the bottom right or bottom left of the rear window on the vehicles, there is no obstruction of view for roughly 95% of vehicles. The reason why is the driver and rear head rest already obstruct the view when looking through the rear view mirror.

The problem I am running across with sports (which is where I see the biggest impact) is licensing. However, we are working with some NCAA licenses and hope to sell them for fans who want to have them say "Go whatever team".

I have not looked into ebay or car accessory stores, thanks for those ideas. I will check into them.

Thanks for your input!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What about working with the small teams / clubs and offering your product as a way for them to generate additional revenue? E.g. you approach the club, offer to produce x number of signs for them at a cost of x Dollars. They can then re-sell these signs at a profit to their members. Could that work for you?