Has anybody here had a child care home business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by RestOwner, May 27, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Someone asked me the other day what I thought about the idea of starting a child care home business, but I didn't know what to say since I have no experience in the subject.

The only piece of advice I gave the person was to go their local social services office and ask for information. If anyone here has had this type of business before and care to share their thoughts or experience, give it a go.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where does your friend live, RestOwner? Just her state. In the US, the states all have their own rules and regulations with regards to licensing child care providers.

At this link below you can check what each state's requirements are. They vary also depending upon whether you want to run a day care center or do it at home. It also provides state licensing contact information which includes the relevant office's address, phone number and website if they have one. Just click on the state on the interactive map. Hope that helps your friend!

http://nrc.uchsc.edu/STATES/states.htm

And if she's not in the US, I don't know. :)

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

responsibilities are just too ... :D
    its something like of a nanny's job, right?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Child care businesses are very much subject to strict regulations, to protect children in their care. Anyone setting up this kind of business will need to familiarise themselves with those regulations and set up the business to ensure that it can meet them. Like many business types, a lot will depend on the location and the proximity of potential customers.

Child care businesses in Ireland are suffering quite a bit at the moment. The recession means that less children have two parents working and many cannot afford to send their children to child care. Other parents have had their working hours cut and no longer need to send their children to child care for as many hours. However, things may be different in your friend's location.

Why not tell your friend about Business Advice Forum? They'd be most welcome here and we'd be delighted to help with any specific questions, they might have.

5. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My friend is computer illiterate lol it sounds a bit harsh to say, but it's true.(she can't even check an email) Anyway, she lives in Florida. Thank you for the link Kay, I'll let her know about it, but I personally think it's best for her to get informed in person at a local office.