Had a deal but did not keep the promise in the end?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by 50Cent, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am currently posting on a forum which i was paid to do it. At first, the owner said, do the 1st 100posts and he will pay me the full amount of money which was 6Dollars. After posting till 100 i PM him and ask for the payment, and he told me that he will pay me tomorrow because he was sick. And i trusted him, at about 170 posts i PM him again and he did not replied. Few days later, he send a email to all the members that he will be changing the forum into a topsite due to some personal stuff.

I keep PMing him but he did not respond at all.

Any advice on how can i get back my pay?

Thanks.

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be fair, if you didn't sign anything and he didn't pay you and it was just a deal through PM'ing/emailing eachother, I don't think legally you can get your money back for the posts. That is just one of the downfalls in the online world.

If it's a deal through DigitalPoint, leave some negative iTrader with a comment attached.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But on the forumpromotion.net he said he very trustworthy.. so is this called trustworthy?

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From what you are saying, I can say that the person in question is not trustworthy however, how long has it been since the last time you contacted him? There could be a logical explanation for this.

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally can't contact him because his forum is closed and changed to a topsite like what i mentioned in the 1st post.

6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was meaning to contact him through ForumPromotion.net were the deal (I presume), was made.

7. DaveScotford

DaveScotford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not strictly true. Contracts are made every single day without even saying a word. Getting on a bus and putting your money in the coin slot for example. With my business I email the suppliers letting them know I need new stock and they send it, I pay and that's contract complete - nothing signed, we don't speak a word, just a quick email (like the PM) but I know that it's a legal sound thing to do.

You've mentioned further down that he's closed the forum so presuming that you're unable to see the PM's detailing the deal that you made. If that's the case then it's your word against his and so it's not now something you can prove to get the money you're owed. Best thing to do is always use a means of communicating which you control and can use as proof. If the other person closes down an email address then you still have the emails they sent to you and you to them on your inbox :)

8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was meaning that unless something was signed, the person in question doesn't have to pay, legally. Even though that is inappropriate and the wrong thing by not paying.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent, sorry to hear that has happened to you. It is most unfortunate that you did the work and have not been paid. You can leave your feedback by posting the topic where you agreed the deal with this member. Unfortunately it is difficult to get paid by someone like that, if they decide that they don't want to pay you. You've put a lot of work in to earn that money and from what you are saying you are perfectly entitled to it. Unfortunately with small amounts of money, it's not practical to get a solicitor involved and hence it is difficult to take action on it.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

It may be different in some legal jurisdictions, but what you say is not true in Ireland. A contract doesn't necessarily need to be written, in order to be legally enforceable. If two people agree a deal and one person delivers on their end of the deal, they are legally entitled to whatever was agreed to when the deal was made. Obviously it is more difficult to enforce a contract when there isn't clear evidence in writing, however that doesn't take away from your legal obligations under the contract.

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it all depends on which country you are in, and what country the person in question is living in. But thank you for your clarification, it's always good to learn something.

11. DaveScotford

DaveScotford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same here under English and Welsh law. Nothing needs to be signed for a contract to be a legally valid contract. Scottish law is a different system so not sure if it is the same :)

12. andykeating

andykeating
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think there's a way out.. :( but take it as a lesson.. & be careful next time.. :$$: